What makes a computer business successful? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default What makes a computer business successful?

Hello ppl. I'm doing a project for my economics class and we have to design a business. I choose to have a computer retail store (like dell). Wondering what you guys think makes a computer retailer successful or a failure? What exactly do consumers look for when purchasing a computer?

thank you, i appreciate your input.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

most consumers really look for "Pentium 4"
it's sad really

Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

All about prices and advertising mainly..........Just make sure that the advertising mentions plenty of technologies, if they are good ones or even worthless. Intel Pentium 4 with HT technology, built for Windows XP! 512mb of memory(don't mention thats its only pc2700 with crap latencies), and make sure you get the cheapest parts possible but try and make out like its really, really good. Advertising like I said, most people don't know anything about computers and if you advertise good and say that your computer has all these great technlogies even though the consumer has no idea what they do....
Old 09-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

superior support 24/7 365 and customer service.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

thanks alot guys! =)
Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

You would be well off in a basic computer retail outlet by knowing your competition.
I'm surprised that more companies don't follow in the footsteps of particular car insurance agency that advertised something along the lines of

...we will give you our quote as well as the quotes from 3 other companies....

if you know your competition ... thats one good thing, but they take it to the next level and actually quote a ballpark figure from a competitor (regardless of their price placement within the list). Now thats a smart business strategy!

From personal experiences with my own small business adventures, if also found that sometimes you need to sacrifice a positive cash flow for a lot of positive feedback. As long as you are letting your customers know that they are purchasing a quality product or service at a discounted price with a friendly attitude then the "word of mouth" game begins at a rapid pace.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Originally posted by bradybnmci
superior support 24/7 365 and customer service.

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread