What makes AMD fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I understand and I already know that AMD doesn't need fast clockspeed to be fast. Ok, AMDs do more operations per hert, so that is how they keep up their processors with Pentium. -> but wait!!! how do they keep up with the cache and the fsb? AMD is recomanded because it is supposed to be cheap. In fact, an AMD and a Pentium 4 are about the same price. I want to get a computer with 512 cache, 400 fsb, 400 ddr speed with 400 512mb ddr ram, and somewhere 2ghz or 2000+ and up. If you would build an AMD with 400 fsb and 512 cache it would be the same as a P4. I just looked at a site, and the slowest processor they offer with 400fsb is an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton wiht 640k which is $270. The only reason they are cheap is because they don't offer slower processors with big fsb.

.....ok that wasnt exactly a question......but all i have to say is the lowest end amd cpu with big cache and FSB is the 2500+ 512 Lv2 and 128 LV1 i think or the other way around around and u have to remember any amd front side bus is double what is really is

you are playing a numbers game. stop trying to compare cache and fsb between a pentium4 and XP series. you are only confusing yourself in the process. just know that a:

pentium4 2.4Ghz version B or C is equal to XP2400+

pentium4 2.5Ghz B or C is equal to XP2500+

pentium4 2.6Ghz B or C is equal to XP2600+........ect

a XP2500-xp3000 is good enough, xp3200 is too expensive currently. you can always raise FSB on a CPU. a stock xp2500 which runs at 333Mhz CPU effective FSB can be overclocked to 400Mhz effective FSB without breaking a sweat.

I disagree think the C's start running away from your formula.Lumping the Bs and C's together dont make sense.Dont think AMD hangs with the C's stock.Personaly i dont like AMD's. They run to hot and dont last.Take way to much pampering and knowledge to compete with Intel.

Im still waiting for Intel's awnser to 64 FX. Which cost a lot to hack up a server chip for the desktop market.Cant be much profit in it.Id not be surprised if AMD filed in a year or two.

I don't know where you found the XP 3200+ for $270, but pricewatch has a retail for $229 with shipping. For $270 you can get a 64 3200+. AMD is faster for the money usually, but only if you shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom