What machine to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Taylor

Solid State Member
hi all,

not been here to long but i'm trying to decide what route to take for a new machine.

i'm an architectural visualiser using autocad, max with vray / mental ray, after effects and photoshop to produce animations / presentations and high res images. Needless to say the machine is purely for work not gaming.

i'm after advice as whether to go for a dual amd opteron machine or dual xeon machine, and am looking to spend around £200 / processor. (could go higher but would have to save up for a bit longer!).

i'm keen to have 64 bit in order to be ready for new releases of 64 bit apps (windows etc.) as i figure getting these further down the line will feel like an upgrade again.

am i correct that amd 64 chips are not suitable for dual processor application?

Are the xeon or opterons actually 64 bit like the amd 64's or do they employ a "work around" method ( Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology) to confuse people like me?

my final option is simply to purchase two individual machine using the amd 64 chip as i believe that vray supports distrubited rendering so i could therefore have a "multiprocessor machine" on the cheap?

any advice would be most welcome. hope the above makes sense, i'm no techie so please forgive any stupid questions i've asked!

thanks james

I think both the Xeon and Opterons come with 64bit options these days (havent looked much into them myself thought)

As for a suggestion I couldn't give you an educated opinion but personally I have a bias towards AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom