What Laptop to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had several laptops ranging from Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Compaq, IBM and recently HP and Alienware.

Out of all of the older ones the Dell has lasted the longest.. I dropped that sucker like 100 times and it still kept working... but avast...an idiot friend of mine dropped a table on it when I was helping him move... cracked my LCD, the laptop still works but since it is out of warranty.. i'm stuck with a really small desktop.

My HP was fairly reasonable in price (HP Pavilion zx5040us) and is a game powerhouse, It cost me $1,600 but they gave me $300 in rebates so I wound up paying $1300 for it.

Its a P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility 64MB Vid Card, 60 GB Hdd, USB 2.0, Firewire, Digital Media Drive (for digi cam memory cards), Modem, Ethenet, Integrated Wireless Card. Not bad for money.

The Alienware on the other hand smokes the HP but it costs $1500 MORE. It has a P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 - 128MB Vid Card. The works, its awesome but like I said, it costs over 3k.

I recommen getting the HP, you'll get very good processing power for a reasonable price.

Are toshibas made by Acer. I heard they were. Also whats faster intel pentium 4 2.8ghz with hyper threading or a intel centrino 1.5ghz?

Umm well 2.8ghz with hyperthreading is going to be a lot faster in my opinion. But i know centrino has some special laptop techonolgy that i know nothing about.

Yeah, but P4 2.8ghz with HT uses twice as much power as a 1.4ghz Centrino which both put out the same performance.

I completely agree with aj2003 regarding Acer.

The very reason I'm being tight over upgrading the graphics card on my PC is because I'm intending on buying an Acer 1500 or 1510 series notebook. In the 1500 series there are three notebooks; the 1501LCe, 1501LMi and 1502LMi. Each respectively brings a few system specification upgrades with each rise in the price.

Ultimately for the money they are priced at I am personally considering the mid-range 1501LMi notebook which for an additional £120 over the 1501LCe (Dabs are by no means the cheapest UK supplier I've found although that's no use to anyone in the US - try ebuyer.com, I even believe they can ship to the US from NJ) you do get the following:

60GB HDD (an extra 20GB)
Dual DVD/CD-RW (instead of a CD-RW/DVD-ROM)
15.0" SXGA+ TFT Display (capable of superior screen resolutions)
Wireless LAN capability (802.11g)
3-in-1 card reader (SD, MMC and memory stick)
Floppy drive :)

The system specs of them all can be found here: http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...oupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=4024134369

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=58919 £996 inc. VAT

I don't know how much use this is in the US though because you guys always seem to be at least a year ahead of us but I hope you'll agree they are top spec notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom