What I thought was hd problem was not it. WHAT IS IT???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought in late 2000 a gateway SELECT K7-950
Panasonic 20X/48X IDE CD-ROM Drive
Asus cdrw new
Panasonic 1.44-MB Floppy Disk Drive Revision 4
Just upgraded to Maxtor 80gig hd
Gateway Millennium PS/2 Multi-Function Keyboard
64-MB 133/100/66-MHz 72-Bit 4-Clock 8x8 SDRAM DIMM + another
256 of crucial ram
MSI Athlon Motherboard - 950 MHz
Combo V.90 Modem and 10-Mbps Home Phoneline Network Adapter
250-Watt 3.3-Volt Power Supply Revision 1 [Part #6500470]
Creative Labs Audio PCI 128D Digital Sound Card
nvidia mx4000 geforce video card 64mb-had to replace just recently because the other went bad/all this happened before this was installed.
cable modem/ethernet - unknown name, it shows dc-101 YCL also rmc is written on one of the chips and also myson????
What other info would you like.

Are you running 1 hard drive conected at the end of the ribbon cable ( Try setting it to cable select )? Are both IDE drives set up as Master/Slave on the same ribbon cable with the master being at the end of the ribon cable ? Make sure you have the ribbon for the HD conected to the Primary IDE Socket on the MB and the IDE Drives on the Secondary IDE socket with PIN 1 in the proper position .What is your Boot order in BIOS?
You can use Gateway Support to get the proper drivers for the unknown devices .Once you get your OS installed properly or use another system to get online .Search using your serial number download the drivers and copy them to a CD .Use "my current system configuration" .They will list the latest drivers for your setup.

One hard drive at the end of the ribbon cable. It was on cable select but I changed it to master slave with master at the end. What boot order do you think is best?

There is no 'best' boot order....

You put the boot order to:

1. CD-ROM
2. HD-0

for when you're formatting so that it loads the WinXP CD first and then after it's copied the files it loads from the Hard Drive you installed it to

This is a tough one. I have gotten replies on different boards and everyone has something different to say.

....The only way I can get it to boot is to shut down, turn on, have the hard drive unplugged and when the start up screen gets to a certain point plug the hd back in again.....

my god man, that is like a totally uncool thing to do, plugging in a live wire to any component is so risky. ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure the power is off (or preferrably unplugged) before connecting plugs of any type in the computer. ESPECIALLY a HD.

Well, then I might as well throw it away because it won't boot otherwise. I have had it to the pros and they could not get it to boot. I found the way and that was the only one.

you have somthing set wrong in your BIOS download the manual and find out what it is.I would look at the HD settings in Bios .Seems to me if it will boot after a certain point into post after you plug it back in then its looking for a bootable drive.But from cold start the bios is having a problem identifying the device the way you have it setup. Depending on the settings the BIOS will look for several ways to boot a HD

This has been going on for several years so you know what will solve all this crap. A new mother board. YEP>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom