What is HT supposed to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_learn

In Runtime
what is hyper threading technology supposed to mean? whats the difference btwn a 2.4 ghz with ht and 2.4 ghz without one?
apart from the cost of course, one of the questions that have bitten my head off since i got me an upgrade!

Hyper threading is kinda technology that allows the CPU to process 2 threads simultaneously, making it work like you have 2 single thread ("regular") CPUs.

I don't know in which aspects it will improve the performance, scinse I don't have one, but anyway.

Yeah, hyperthreading basically tricks software into thinking your CPU can accept two threads...basically "simulates" the same effect you'd get from multicore processors to a much lesser extent

It's one of the big reasons Intel has made a name is encoding/rendering applications...the irony is when games are written with multiple threads, AMD single cores which have traditionally run much faster in games will actually fall behind Intel processors equipped with hyperthreading

hmm so my intel P4 3.0ht is better than an amd 2.8 in gaming?

If the game is multithreaded then yes...no such game exists at this point and time though

And when they finally do exist, there will be AMD's dual core CPUs...

Hyperthreading tricks the comptuer into thinking there's actually 2 CPU's.
currently games don't support multiple CPUs/CPU cores, so AMD wins with their single core CPU's in gaming.
although, like Trotter said, the AMD dual core CPU's are out for when games do support multi threading

you mean to say that altho games dont support it yet........other applications do? and whats the core all about?

the core is the part of the CPU that does stuff. some CPU's like the Athlon 64 X2's and Pentium D's have 2 cores per CPU, which means basically 2 CPU's in 1

and yes, there are apps that support multiple cores, but games are not among them yet

But, as I heard it still helps, since while you run multiple aplications at a time, it maps them to the different cores (or virtualy, talking HT) making the whole thing run faster. So since everyone of us usualy run many programs at a time, HT is useful, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom