what the hell, dell? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

yea right, its probably jammed full of keyloggers. im not connected to the internet though, so i dont really have to worry.

the strange thing is, it does not show up in disk management, only in partition magics. partition magic will not let me browse the partition anyway, so i cant see what is inside. i could try assigning a drive letter to it, and looking.

also i have found on a google search somewhere that says it is a disk image, but i cannot open that site to have a better look.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Ask Dell. Ask them if you can delete it. I'm pretty sure they'll tell you that if you do, it will void your warranty.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

after looking through the dell user forums, it seems to contain info about factory restore stuff. nobody said anything about voiding warranties though.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Post asking specifically if it will void your warranty, don't just say "Oh its not right there, so it doesn't exist."

If you did already, and they told you it won't void the warranty, then go ahead and do whatever you want to it.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

it contains a ghost image of your HDD. Keep it, remove it.... depends if you have everything on disk or not.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 09-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

I dont think dell could LEGALY void your waranty just because you deleted a partition off the HD, and at most the only thing they could refuse to waranty is the HD. They cant void the waranty on your whole computer just because you delete a partition on the HD. Unless it is stated in a paper that you sign for the waranty that says 'We will void your entire waranty if you delete this partition' or whatever then they cant legaly do it. And a waranty has nothing to do with a partition on a HD anyway, a waranty covers things like hardware defects or defects in craftsmanship, not partitions... When you **** up a partition you call tech support not the waranty claims department.

Its like saying dell will void your waranty because you wore a red shirt to work last wednesday, it has nothing to do with anything...

Closed Thread