What does "ping" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
In the online gaming world?

I dont play the big games or anything but like when im on yahoo pool if i press "ping" button it will say somthing like "opponants net delay0.32 seconds", "my net delay 0.8 seconds".

Can someone explain exactly what that means to me? and what is the point of being able to know this?:confused:

To 'ping' is to send a packet from one computer, to another, and then back to the original computer. Games will show your ping time to show the speed of your connection between the two.

Just to add, a higher ping means more lag, and it is measured in milli seconds.

Its not just games. You can ping other sites to see if they are connected.

idiotec said:
To 'ping' is to send a packet from one computer, to another, and then back to the original computer. Games will show your ping time to show the speed of your connection between the two.
yes, and just to make it a bit more clear, what the game measures is how long it takes between pinging the other computer and recieving a reply. you want it to be as small as possible.

To test my ping, I always ping it against yahoo or google or something in command prompt.

Go to command prompt and simply type "tracert www.yahoo.com" or any other site. :cool: "Tracert" stands for trace route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom