What does my Hard Drive look like???

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalnutMon

Solid State Member
I am trying to figure out if fringing (accidental writing of data to an adjacent track on a hard drive) is to blame for certain data corruptions... ... yes, my life is fun... but in order to do that I need to know the actual physical possition of the information on the hard drive. Does anyone have any idea of how to get this information. basically what I need is either a program that maps out the information in a graphical way, with file labels... or I need some way of finding the track, sector, head information of files... This is probably the worst thing I have ever had to think about because i am by no means a hard drive expert, any help or information, or soothing reminders that life is not all corrupted files and thermal troubles would be greatly appreciated!!!

could be the outside of the platter is loosing it magnetation and begining to loose data or corrupting the new data.. that's just a thought.. although my friend was having corruption problems for like 3 months and he decided to format and reinstall everything and now it's all working great

Probably not of much help, but eh

Unfortunatly my problem is not that simple... not that the website I just read was "simple" but i need to know the actually physical location of data on a hard drive... now i have some of the information I need, the sector numbers and such, but when a file is written to disk, information is sent and then translated to an actual sector address. meaning that the operating system may say information is in sector 123,456,789, but as we all know, unfortuneatly for me, hard drives are round, and they have two sides, and multiple platers, and concentric circles, and pie shaped wedges... my god, shoot me now... and that sector actually has an address that looks something like, head: 3 track: 204 sector: 70. What I need is a program that does that conversion for me... I am pretty sure it doesn't exist.

What would you do with this information once you got it. I doubt that much can be done with it. Couldn't you just use scandisk and let it scan the hard drive for bad clusters. Then it would mark that location and never use it again.
If you keep getting bad clusters after its been marked, then its time for a backup and new hard drive.

Unfortuneatly no, I have already run scan disc and I know that there are bad clusters. I have looked at the raw data using a program that I have. There are sections of data that have been written into addresses that have pointers for other data pointing to them. I digress...
I am not trying to fix something, but rather fix a general problem that has replicated itself time and time again on a board that a company I work for produces. If I can find out if the log files that this board creates are in close physical proximity to the files that are getting corrupted I will be able to confirm, or refute, the fact that fringing, and more importantly over-heating, is the cause of these problems. However, through my investigation it seems that my efforts are in vain and that I will need specific information on the sector - CHS (cylinder, head, sector) algorithm, only available through the hard drive manufacturer itself...

Oh ok. Your issue is a little more complicated. Good luck with that.

Yeah, I get chills everytime I see him smile in the movie.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom