What does HD cache do/mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It saves the last requested data in a buffer. Usually 2-8MB in size. It keeps the data in the buffer so the OS can request them at a faster speed. The speed at wich the data from the buffer is transferred is called Burst speed.

Kadahaf,

Every I/O device has a small speed memory called 'cache' , basically built on semiconductor technology. The cache in these devices speed up the data processing.

In the case of HDD, the DMA controller uses to transfer data from HDD to cache, and then from cache to Main Memory[ RAM ] .This speeds up the data transfer , than directly copying from the HDD to memory. Even our processors have cache ['L1' and 'L2' cache ] for the same purposes. TO 'Speed" up the data flow rate.

I notice an EXTREME difference in load times between my 2MB cache and my 8MB cache hard drives. The 8MB does things just so much faster.

I thinks that's because its just a newer/better drive. You shouldn't notice a big performance increase just because of the buffer.

the cache is where the cpu stores data that is requested frequently ..instead of going to the drive all the time it is requested from the cache , which has a delay time of less than 1/5 of any drive , clocked in mil.
to go to the drive it would take a seek time of say <27ms where the stored cache data would be a seek time of <5ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom