What does a 650w PSU draw when idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Just a typical power question:

If your computer has a 650w PSU, is it drawing 650w constantly from the wall outlet and just supplies wattage from that 650 pool to the components when needed?

OR

If your computer has a 650w PSU, is it only drawing from the wall outlet what the current components require? Meaning if your current components require 400w, is it drawing 400w with the PSU having a capability of 650w? Or is it constant @ 650w?

I believe it always draws the 650watts (or near that). Reason being is you can test any one of the connectors on a PSU when the PSU is turned on and you can measure the voltage being used (done all the time when testing the 12 volt connector when a PSU is the suspect for a computer not working).

That is my thought at least, i don't know for sure. But it seems to me when the PSU is on, it is drawing how much power it is rated for. Again i just come to that conclusion because you can test any of the connectors and you get a reading.

The second one. Case in point a friend of mine bought a 1000W corsair PSU for his dual CPU machine and when he measured what it was drawing from the wall? 250W.
Lex what you were measuring there is the volts - these are supposed to be as rated at all times the difference comes from the amps that are drawn which are variable.

It will draw the amount that is needed by your computer, plus its inefficiency.

If your PSU is 85% efficient at 100W, then it will draw 115W from your socket. Sometimes you can find the efficiency specifications online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom