What to do with new mobo? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default What to do with new mobo?

A little while ago my PSU burned out all the red cables going to the mobo, and after trying to solder it on I've decided to just buy completely new parts.

In a couple days this mobo will be at my front step. This is the first time I have ever put in a new mobo (or anything) in a computer so I was wondering what exactly do I have to do. I know how to connect the PSU, RAM, processor, mobo to the case, etc but how do I configure it and stuff?

I will be using the mobo with anAthlon 64 3000+ and Leadtek 6600GT. Along with my current hard drive (seagate barracuda) that (hopefully) still has all my stuff and windows XP on it.

man these peas ROCK!
Old 06-26-2005, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

you just need to replace the mobo, and then plug everything in to the new mobo *correctly*

then you have the sort out the bios and stuff, but i dont know anything about that.

anyone else?

Old 06-26-2005, 04:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

he wants to know *how* to put it in though

this site has a tutorial on PC building.
building a PC is actualy pretty straight forward. you just need to know a few things.
if you put something in the wrong spot, 99% of the time it will not actually damage the part, it just won't work until you put it in properly
Old 06-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it should pretty much be a matter of plugging it all in and turning it on. bios will detect memory etc and you should at least be able to boot without really having to do anything. after that though you will probably have to go through the bios and tweak individual settings. as for using the exact same hdd, that may not work at least not with windows xp. win95/98 were simple in that regard but windows xp will probably reject the new system but you will still have all your files on the drive.
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

...So what can I do to keep the same HD but with new mobo, etc.?
man these peas ROCK!
Closed Thread