What to do after a blackout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paganinio

Baseband Member
What to do after a blackout?
it can lead to hard disk data corruption

suppose you're copying a great deal of data through your hard disk, suddenly you have a blackout, what should you do to protect both your data and your hard disk?

sorry if this has been asked

The best bet is to purchase a UPS (uninterruptible Power Supply) which will give you a few minutes of power in case of power failure. They are fairly expensive but are worth it if your data is critical (i.e. business etc...)
You can also set your BIOS so that your computer remains off after power failure. This is helpful in case of multiple power failures during a storm for example, as it will prevent your computer from rebooting automatically and being shut off again.
Although damageable, power cut off are not as bad as power surges which can be eliminate through a good bus bar/regulator. These are much more frequent than black outs.

thanks a lot
i have encountered many times of blackouts and my hard disk is still working.
my uncle's PC was 'completely burnt' after several blackouts, that's dreadful
now doing backup for my important data, who knows when the next blackout will come!

Yep...That's why Battery Backups were created.

Of course, depending on your PSU, can actually get through just fine. Though I wouldn't recommend relying on the fuzzy-logic of system survivability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom