What is the difference between memory frequency ratios? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default What is the difference between memory frequency ratios?

I just downloaded the program, CPU-Z, and it shows that I have a memory frequency of 141.6MHz and FSBDR ratio of 3:4. I was wondering if this is good or bad? I know the memory frequency may be high because I have overclocked the FSB in the BIOS.

Also....
CAS# Latency is 2.5 Clocks. RAS# to CAS# Delay is 3 Clocks. RAS# Precharge is 3 Clocks & Cycle Time (Tras) is 6 Clocks. Everything look good?

Btw, I have two sticks of Mushkin 512 PC2100 DDR.
I think its best to match the FSB and memory, so the ratio is same and is it the lower the better on all clocks? How do I change it? I believe that when I overclocked in the BIOS, there was an option that changed my overall multiplier (P4 = o/c to 2.12ghz = 100x20, mine is now 106x20) which I think changes the MEMORY and CPU Mhz...how do I make the ratios same?

Old 02-09-2004, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok got it. I found where the options are in my BIOS, they were in the Advanced Chipset Features. I can set all the CAS# latency stuff from 2.5 to 2.0 and all the precharge. If I do change these, it gives me a warning on the side that changing the timings and settings can cause my computer not to reboot up, in that case I have to reset/clear the CMOS. How would I go about just in case?

Old 02-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

OK, I managed to change the CAS# Latency from 2.5 to 2.0. It didn't hang up on me or anything ... any other timing settings I should change like the RAS#, etc while I'm still in the BIOS? I hope this would help improve my performance a tiny bit....
Closed Thread