what is degauss

Status
Not open for further replies.
degauss refers to the removal of magnetic forces from a piece of hardware.

I hit mine every week or so. But my monitor- you can really tell when it needs it.

Be prepared- for someone whos never seen a monitor degauss... its kinda unsettling, but perfectly okay for your monitor.

To remove magnetism from a device. The term is usually used in reference to color monitors and other display devices that use a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). These devices aim electrons onto the display screen by creating magnetic fields inside the CRT. External magnetic forces -- such as the earth's natural magnetism or a magnet placed close to the monitor -- can magnetize the shadow mask, causing distorted images and colors.
To remove this external magnetic forces, most monitors automatically degauss the CRT whenever you turn on the monitor. In addition, many monitors have a manual degauss button that performs a more thorough degaussing of the CRT. You can also use an external degausser that degausses the monitor from the outside. Since it may be impossible to remove the external magnetic force, degaussing works by re-aligning the magnetic fields inside the CRT to compensate for the external magnetism.

You can also degauss magnetic media, such as disks, which removes all data from the media.

Its the removal of cloth bandages. Like gauss bandages. Say you have a cut. You bandage it with a cloth bandage. When it heals you remove it, or degauss. Yes I'm kidding, so please don't correct me and I know it's spelled gauze on the bandage.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom