What is the deal with the Aegia Physics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge_00

In Runtime
Hey just was looking around the net and found out about that Aegia (Whatever and however you spell it, i got no idea.) Card interesting idea, when you thought you couldn't be leached for anymore money.BAM!, POW!, ZAPP!!! Buy our CARD.... Well unless it actually helps me figure out the trajectories i need to throw my old crud bucket of a dang computer out of a moving vehicle or skyscrapper to get the best smash possible, i'm not sold on it.

Yessh, i already have enough trouble just trying to keep enough to upgrade every so often. Anyway, now i'm just rambling like some old-timer in a daze on springs day on a park bench watching the ducks fight over scraps of crusty old bread i had in kitchen for about 2 weeks. Did, i ever tell you about the time i fought in world war 2, well........ (Drops suddenly asleep drooling.)

(Waking up again suddenly) Where was i? Oh, yeah well if anybody has anything to say about this topic go for cos i wanna learn more about it but well, i'm lazy so why doesn't everyone tell me about.

Yours Sincerely
Grandpa Joe:beard:

Right now the Ageia cards are there but the software support and games for it are not. Untill more games come out that actually utilize it like Ageia's tech demos I too am not sold. Games like GR:AW support it but they only just add some extra eye candy and absolutly no gameplay with the insane physics capibility with these cards.

Although I'm sure once UT07 and other UE 3.0 games come out the card will have more support. If they start to put them on video cards that would be great, but I don't think we will be seeing things like that anytime soon. Games like Cellfactor are what Ageia needs, they need killer apps that make it the "must-have" hardware. But creating games that need accelerated physics hardware will be very hard to sell to the masses, no one want to pay 300 bucks to play that game.

Or you could wait till Nvidia and ATI put Aegia out of business since their way can provide better performance (in less Aegia comes out with something new). Both VGA companies are goin for the 3 PCI-E slots, 2 slots for CF/SLI and one for physics. Idk much about nvidia, but for ATI, you would probably use a X1600.. for physics. There was an article somewhere sayin that its like 2-4x faster than the Aegia and a X1900XT(X maybe) is like 8-10x faster.

DOn't these new cards use the PCI slots only? Maybe I'm getting this confused with another technology...
They are using PCI-E. The physics card was supposed to come in either PCI-E 1x or 4x flavors.

But yeah, it'll take a while for it to be really implemented.

But creating games that need accelerated physics hardware will be very hard to sell to the masses, no one want to pay 300 bucks to play that game.
I'm sure if they did it, they wouldn't make a game that was only playable with physx card. If they are smart, and I'm pretty sure they'll do this, it'll simply detect your physx card and there be an option to turn on the high end physx. Infact, I think that GRAW does have something like that in its options.

they're currently pretty useless, because of lack of software support.
wait at least a year for some support of these cards to come out, and maybe a half year after that for it to mature a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom