What CPU do I have? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

Well it is overclocked, I'm thinking that is affecting what it is saying. And, when I reset the cmos it gives me 100x10.5= 1050mhz.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, if it is really important to you, reset your CMOS chip so it goes back to its original settings and post what the actual processor speed is. It is always good to know what CPU you have BEFORE OC it, keep that in mind for future reference. If you got it like this, already OCed, it won't hurt it to reset the BIOS and check to see what speed it really runs at.

EDIT:

I'm looking at the AMD Athlon XP chart and there isn't a CPU under 1333MHz actual speed. The highest standard multiplier is also 8x so I don't know why yours would say 100x10.5. Maybe I'm missing something. When you reset the BIOS do you use a jumper or just an option in the BIOS? I'm not big on OCing my system so I don't know much about what could cause yours to say that. Maybe someone else could give you some more information...

Come visit a new technology and digital image arena website where you may compete in monthly image contests and chat about technology. t3ch.l33t is currently searching for members to help manage different areas of the site. t3ch.l33t Image Arena Home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ch_l33tsig.jpg
Old 09-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I already know what it is 1050mhz at 200 fsb. But I just can't help but think that's wrong, my brother who gave it to me said it was a 1.4ghx 1600+, and the only chip that works with my mobo is palomino.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well my mobo is jumperless, when I reset the cmos I just take the battery out for a few seconds.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

OK, hopefully this helps. if your motherboard uses a 200mhz FSB and your processor is 1050MHz, (1050/200) then you have a 200x5.25 setup. Although there is no such product manufactured by AMD. If your brother says you have a 1600+, your motherboard would have a 266MHz FSB multiplied by 5.25 to give you an actual CPU speed of 1400MHz. I would say that's the case... hopefully.
Come visit a new technology and digital image arena website where you may compete in monthly image contests and chat about technology. t3ch.l33t is currently searching for members to help manage different areas of the site. t3ch.l33t Image Arena Home

Old 09-05-2004, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Here is what my mobo supports, http://tw.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/f...V13support.PDF

My mobo is supposed to be 266..... Also if I oc past 133, will that start oc'ing my ram (I have pc2100)?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

After looking that over, I would say you have the AMD Athlon XP 1600+ running at 133x10.5, I don't believe you have an AMD Athlon K7 series CPU.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

To answer your second question, if you change the multiplier it WON'T effect your RAM, if your motherboard supports changing the FSB then it WILL effect it. Just depends what your motherboard allows to be changed.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well I meant changing the fsb, since the ram only upports up to 133x2.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, just keep stepping it up until you start getting blue-screens-of-death, or until your computer won't boot and you'll know when you've met your RAMs limit. Also be sure your system is running at a safe temp and has adequate cooling. If you ever want to OC it higher you may need to purchase a lower latency, higher quality RAM.

Closed Thread