What brand of RAM for a Dell upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing you want to watch out for, is that mixing different brands of DDR RAM can lead to all sorts of problems; I suggest you get a pair of 256MB Corsair or Kingston RAM.
also, if your motherboard supports it, try and get PC3200 RAM instead of PC2700
512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 - $109
it is far from the fastest in terms of latency, with 3-3-3-8 timings (lower=faster), but like Nubius said, there is very little difference between the RAM with lower latencies. Corsair's XL RAM has 2-2-2-5 timings but costs a lot more

um... he just said that dells site has only ram of their own brand
RIGht...but it would tell him EXACTLY what KIND of RAM his board (his particular Dell machine) uses, such as PC2100, DDR SDRAM, SDRAM, max capacities, etc. That's why I told him to go to D3LL first! :mad: Once he knows the exact specs, finding a brand will be easier.

I'd personally point him towards Kennsington or Crucial, as they are most user friendly.

After he knows the right kind of RAM to buy, he can go somewhere else (like NewEgg or TigerDirect) and buy some.

Here is exactly what CPU-Z says:

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corp
Model: 02Y832
Chipset: Intel i865/PE/G/i848P
Revision: A2
Southbridge: Intel 82801EB (ICH5)

BIOS
Brand: Dell Computer Corporation
Version: A03
Date: 7/21/2003

Does that help at all?

Ok so I opened up the computer and look around, and I'm a little confused. I couldn't find a brand name anywhere on the motherboard. As for the RAM, CPU-Z says that it is Kingston brand, but I couldn't find the Kingston name anywhere on the DIMMs. Is this normal? Does Dell just strip off the brand names and put their stickers on?

That's possible that they do that, but legally I think Kingston sells them the nameless ram and Dell puts there name on it. Ok, I'll look up what will work in your computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom