what is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, I thought. I don't know why there would be anything bad about that.

If I didn't already have a ATI 9600 all-in-wonder in my computer, I'd be all over that thing.

raiden_nrl said:
What is bad about oem products? For the price difference is it worth it? here

OEM Software is only sold with computer hardware. The support for this software (in most cases) come from the hardware provider / manufacturer.

Back when Adaptec owned Easy CD Creator, try calling up Adaptec for support on the software came with CD Burner. Adaptec will give you a polite reply of "Please connact the hardware manufacturer"

OEM Software has been known only to work on that piece of hardware. The Nero CD Burning Software that comes bundled with your CD Burner is a classic example. I have also seen bundled games that will not work too well on other video card. I have a copy of Oni that came with an ATI Video Card. Good luck of getting that game to run on any nVidia card.
I have seem plenty of other games and other programs that will simply not work unless they detect a certain piece of hardware in the computer system.

And finally MS products. The OEM liences means that you need to purchase a computer hardware in order for your to purchase the OEM software that comes in at 1/4 of the price. Your are suppose to sell a full computer system, how ever i have seen people sell some thing as small as a mouse or a printer cable so it can techincally be said that "This software was sold with computer hardware"

So in short terms what is your point. Are you saying that the hardware OEM that i just bought wont work on my computer?

Oh it should work...just don't expect to get much help from technical support if you have a problem with it.

For hardware, most of us build our systems with mostly OEM products because it's cheaper. We don't need or already have the extras that they throw in the box. If there are any issues we can usually fix it or find someone who can help us fix it, unless of course the whole thing is fubr., then we just return it.

For software, like Silesia said, there are software bundles out there specifically made for certain hardware, but the CD label itself will say so. As for the OS...when I'm building my computer, I AM THE OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom