weirdest problem I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menotti

Solid State Member
hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering if you could help me with this problem I'm having.

I'm an experienced PC builder and I just recently moved my whole system from a full tower to a mid tower case for space's sake. The first odd thing that happened was that the machine would not boot if the CPU ran at anything higher than 100mhz FSB (the box would power-reset and then just sit there humming). I realized that the CPU was prob running too hot as most of the thermal paste had burned off, so I added some ACII and a nice, new HSF combo. The machine would run at the proper FSB setting now.

However, another, similar problem has been troubling me. The machine will reset randomly. Not like a soft reset, however. I actually see the indicator and internal lights flash and the whole machine quickly turns itself off and on and just sits there w/ no monitor signal. I can also produce this by tapping the case, in some cases.

I initially thought it was a short, but that does not indicate why the machine would turn on at all, nor why it would reset without and jarring. The reset is pretty random too - I can be running something very CPU intensive without anything happening, but in the same note be typing an email and the machine resets.

I thought it was my PSU failing, but I tried another PSU and got similar results.

Does anyone have ANY clue as to what is going on? This is the most stumped I've been with a PC problem in years, all from just moving to a new case.

Hardware in question:
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo
Athlon XP 3200+
2x512 Corsair 3200C2PT DDR400
Antec 430watt PSU
BFG Geforce6800GT

hmm that is strange.. i get random restarts sometimes but.. i think my comp has other issues.. cant help ya but ill respond so yer thread goes to the front again.... tryin to come up with somethin.. but im sure you know more than me, hopefully these guys can help you. good luck.

Thanks, I'm headed to bed now but maybe someone will have an idea by the morning :)

Hmm.. make sure everything is seated firmly and properly in their respective slots on the mobo, and double check all your wiring. Other than that, i would maybe point towards a defective case.

I would suggest trying to install the mobo with the paper washers and see if it helps any, also recheck all the connections again, make sure nothing is escesivly loose.

Josh

did you clean the CPU die and HS then apply a new thermal pad or compund layer ? Go over the cable connections make sure there firmly seated .

Yeah, make sure everything is proper and seated good. Now, I'm sure I also don't have to tell you to make sure you're CPU is locked into the slot, :) (A commin mi'take.)

You may have a faulty mobo. Check that prospect out too.

Yep I reapplied thermal paste to the CPU. I'll have to check to make sure everything is firmly seated (I'm pretty sure this is the case but I might as well check) and perhaps I'll also remove the mobo and use paper washers.

Other than that, defective case?

Have you tied putting everything back in the other case? I know it will take some time to do all of that, but if it works in there again than you have to figure that it is the new case.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
Have you tied putting everything back in the other case? I know it will take some time to do all of that, but if it works in there again than you have to figure that it is the new case.

Yea that is unfortunately the next step, I think. Gonna be quite annoying and time consuming but it seems like the only logical choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom