Weird Video Card Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRINGOSTARR

Baseband Member
this situation honestly makes no sense to me.. maybe someone can help shed some light on this...

i had a geforce4ti 4200 about a week ago, and decided to buy a friends 9800Xt for $150. put it in and i had some intial issues with it and other things wrong with my computer irrelevant to what was happening with my video card, in which i decided to format for and start a new.

now, after installing the newest version of the catalyst drivers, i barely get 70 fps in game (cs 1.6). this is far worse then the 120 or so i got with my old g4ti. HL2 plays terribly too.

this makes no sense to me, a far superior card doing far worse of a job then my old cluncker card. i just formatted to, eliminating possible issues with old nvidia drivers.

any thoughts are appreciated.

Antec Lanboy (1st Gen) Case w/ Antec TrueBlue 380W PSU
AMD AthlonXP 2200+ w/ Stock Fan.
AOpen AK77-600N w/ VIA KT600 Chipset
1GB of Micron PC2700 DDR Ram Performance Cooled by Thermaltake
ATI Radeon 9800XT (256MB DDR) Overclocked to 438 MHz w/ Thermaltake Heatsink and Fan
40 GB western Digital Hard Drive (5400RPM)
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive (5400RPM)
80 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Hard Drive (7200RPM)
I/O-Magic Internal Dual Layer DVD+RW/+R (16X)
LG 16x DVD-Rom (Unpowered & Inactive)
FMI 10/100/1000 NIC (Realtek 8169 Chipset)
Logitech MX518
fUncPad
Saitek Backlit PC Gamer's Keyboard

good enough? hehe

EDIT : just to add on, im pretty techie when it comes to things like this, i know my shit (i wouldnt have the job i have if i wasnt), this just really stumps me. i know what some people may think its the PSU, and i hope thats not the answer.

Did u put that heatsink and fan on or was it the person u bought it from?If u did not do it check to see that everything is in place.Also did u change your aperture to 256 from 64.

matt2m said:
Did u put that heatsink and fan on or was it the person u bought it from?If u did not do it check to see that everything is in place.Also did u change your aperture to 256 from 64.
no it was on it when he used it, he said he never had any serious issues with it other then in some dollar bin game he bought.

ill go check the aperture size now, it may be set at 512 even :eek:

thanks matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom