Weird Probs With The Old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
This one is funky.

I tried installing windows 2000 onto my old computer (the pc that i have with the bad processor). I did a complete reformat of the 6gig hard drive and proceeded to install the new os. I formatted the drive to NTFS but for somereason the hard drive would not take it. I tried 5 times to install the OS. Each time i wiped the drive clean and started over. Each time i got long drawn out errors.

The processor itself has been doing fairly better temperature wise since i moved the entire computer infront of a huge fan i have on the floor of the room. As long as the temps don't get past 160f or as long as the pc doesn't run more than 2 hours or so, it's ok. So i don't think the hdd's resistance to NT is related to the processor.

I find it really strange. The 6 gig HDD is only 4 months old at most. It's a western digital. Anyone ever encounter a problem like this before? After the 5th attempt i gave up and stuck in the win98 cd to just toss win98 back into it... this time i got some other errors which were related to the cpu chip overheating (by now the pc was on for more than my 2 hour limit!). So.....

I completely gave up on the pc for now. To reduce my stress i've decided to just scrap the entire hdd, the cdrom (which has been giving me problems lately), the cpufan, the powersupply, the cpu chip and the RAM (Gonna just go with a different brand). Basically, the only thing i'm going to keep is the mainboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom