Weird Noise (HHD Prob?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbplus

Beta member
Hi,

It would be great if you could offer some advice. I have been using my pc for several months without any issues, however it has started to give some grief this evening.

Symptoms

After my pc has been on for 5-10mins, I hear a high pitched noise coming from the case. Initially it is intermitant, but then becomes frequent and sometimes constant.

The noise seems related to my HD activity (when I am saving or opening a file).

Eventually, my system hangs or shuts down.

I am concerned that my HD is about to crash.

Possible Issues

It's getting a bit hotter in Sydney (Australia) lately, so I thought it might be a heat problem with my cpu overheating, but my asus hardware monitoring software says that my mobo and cpu are well bellow the danger levels.

The same software shows some slight flutuations in power usage. I am not sure if this is related to the problem or not because the graph is not detailed enough. Also, I am not sure if these flutuations are normal.

System Specs

mobo: ASUS A7V8X-X (with latest BIOS)
CPU: Athlon 2400+
Master HD: Western Digital 7200rpm 80gig
Slave HD: Some old 60gig thing (from my old pc)
RAM: 2 X 512 DDR 333
SOUND: M-Audio 24/96
Other: DVD Burner and CD Burner.

Also, I unplugged the Slave HD and the problem continued.

Any ideas as to a cause or possible solution would be greatly appreciated

I would do a scan disk or find some other HDD utility to scan your machine. If it is the western digital drive that you have that is suspect. Download the util from their web site. If you are not sure which of your two HDDs is possibly bad i would disconnect the one that does not have the OS on it and see if it persist.

I would get more specific.....open her up and listen for the sound...I once had a similar problem that just turned out to be a cord falling down occasionaly so it was barely-touching one of my fan blades.....then again, if your HD is making a funny noise, it would probably be something like dust on the disk....very bad, and I wouldn't want to run scandisk or anything on a dirty HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom