Webcam turning on when it wants to - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via MSN to KojiInari
Default Webcam turning on when it wants to

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I assumed that it is, please let me know if I am wrong and where to post.

I just noticed today that my webcam light was on- something that only happens when I'm using the cam for something such as livestreaming or video chat... a little perturbed by the light being on, I went about closing every program on my computer that used a cam...and it was still on. Wierded out, I went and closed all applications running on my computer except AVG virus protection...and it was still on. I tried locking my computer, logging off, everything.... It only went off when I unplugged it. However, a few minutes after plugging it back in, it turned on again, almost like something was accessing the camera, such as a program.

I turned my computer off completely, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. So far, no light unless I open up a video chat with someone.

Is it possible it was just a problem with the cam, or does this sound like a program hijacking the camera? I don't usually look up from my screen, so I honestly have no idea if it's happened before, though now that I've noticed it I'm keeping my eye on it...

Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman
Default Re: Webcam turning on when it wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by KojiInari View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I assumed that it is, please let me know if I am wrong and where to post.

I just noticed today that my webcam light was on- something that only happens when I'm using the cam for something such as livestreaming or video chat... a little perturbed by the light being on, I went about closing every program on my computer that used a cam...and it was still on. Wierded out, I went and closed all applications running on my computer except AVG virus protection...and it was still on. I tried locking my computer, logging off, everything.... It only went off when I unplugged it. However, a few minutes after plugging it back in, it turned on again, almost like something was accessing the camera, such as a program.
I turned my computer off completely, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. So far, no light unless I open up a video chat with someone.

Is it possible it was just a problem with the cam, or does this sound like a program hijacking the camera? I don't usually look up from my screen, so I honestly have no idea if it's happened before, though now that I've noticed it I'm keeping my eye on it...

This has happened before to me, I think it's from power being stored in there somehow? Maybe it didnt power down properly when the computer shut down. Pretty much answered it yourself :
"I turned my computer off completely, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. So far, no light unless I open up a video chat with someone. "

Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Webcam turning on when it wants to

In device manager, is there a tab, in your webcam properties, for power management? "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

If so, uncheck that.