Web Server setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WS6Extreme

Beta member
OK.. What is a good hardware configuration for a server that will primarily be used to web services (IE website,forum,etc.) Thanks for the info.

How much memory, HDD, etc etc... Do you have to have a blazing fast computer to be a server? I have a spare computer that has the following:

I think it is a 666Mhz
256mb ram
60 gigs of HDD space...

Would that work as a good server or should i just build a new one?

Thanks for the help

It all depends on what your line speed is, for instance if you're doing this on say a 3.5M upstream than whats the point of having a computer that can process 29 times more then that in the same time.

Just think in terms of large CPU cache and ram i'd say 1 to 2MB/GB-cache/ram, a xeon would be pointless the EE P4's are virtualy the same thing only cheaper.

Don't use windows IIS, its jank behind jank, use apache.. I would recommend on gentoo.

for 50-60 users at a time (by that I mean initiating a request or receiving a response at the same time) with a low latency I wouldnt expect to pay more than 600 maybe 700 tops on CPU/RAM/MOBO

Of course let me add what exactly is this for, what do you expect from this server? if you have just a typical 128/256k broadband upstream then forget it, you'll handle 2-4 people at a time at 56k speeds, if this is just for friends or something local then i'd say use the 600mhz system, just be sure to install the right kernel, I could tell you if you told me what the cpu in that system is.

If you were new to linux and wanted a more user friendly distro i'd say mandrake as opposed to redhat, thats just my opinion though I hate redhat, debian and fedora I find gentoo to be far superior. As for a dual processor system that is probably overkill in this case, we'll know when we see what the expectations for the server are and the line speed it will be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom