WD external harddrive cant detected by my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisengseng

Beta member
hi,
I connected my WD external drive to my computer, the blue circle light is on but my computer couldn't detect it.
Sometimes my computer will make a "don-dong" sound and the signal "new hardware was found" will appear, but in a second or two another signal which saids something like "the new hardware might not run properly".
(the blue light is on in the whole process)

could any of you tell me what might go wrong and all the solution you can think of so that i could try to solve it?

Hello,

Did you format the drive at all? If not use the discs that came with the drive to get it formatted so that Windows will recognize it. Windows will not recognize any new drives as they are in RAW format. They need to be in NTFS or FAT32.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Did you format the drive at all? If not use the discs that came with the drive to get it formatted so that Windows will recognize it. Windows will not recognize any new drives as they are in RAW format. They need to be in NTFS or FAT32.

Cheers,
Mak

hey mak,
probably not, but it comes with the software like file manager or something ( already installed). **I could use this EHD for other computer tho**,
I typed in the keyword on google and I've find out that it might have something to do with the power (electricity or whatever you call it) of the computer.
I've changed the option to full capacity (for power) but still no help.

what a drag, btw thanks for replying :(

Hello,

Doesnt the External come with it's own power supply? I know mine did. That should be more than enough power to run it. Unless it didnt and it is trying to run from the USB port and get power from there.

Maybe try to update the chipset drivers? What OS are you running?

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Doesnt the External come with it's own power supply? I know mine did. That should be more than enough power to run it. Unless it didnt and it is trying to run from the USB port and get power from there.

Maybe try to update the chipset drivers? What OS are you running?

Cheers,
Mak

nope, it only has one plug which is the USB port
http://paulstamatiou.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/wd_passport_hd.jpg
^picture from google search

the OS is window XP, Compaq Presario SR1110NX Desktop PC (I think its a set computer that my parents own 2 years ago)

I found the driver support page but which one should I download?
Software & Driver downloads Compaq Presario SR1110NX Desktop PC

Hello,

Well that could be the issue then. If you do not have the External plugged into a USB port on the PC but plugged into a USB hub it is more likely not getting the power it needs to run. So i would suggest trying just a straight connect to the PC to see if it works.

Might also need a more powerful Power Supply Unit as well. Your might not be powerful enough to drive all your components.

As for the chipset sadly they are not to up to date.

Summer 2004 Original Chipset Driver Collection Compaq Presario SR1110NX Desktop PC

That is the chipset drivers but they are only the origianl ones. Which have not been updated since 2004. Not a good thing at all.

Can try it though.

Cheers,
Mak

have you enabled the Disk in the disk manager. Start>control panel>administative tools>computer management>Disk management.

See if you can see the Hard drive through there. And if you can make sure it is enabled or whatever the option is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom