WD 2 TB Model Accessibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

td2011td

Beta member
Yesterday I ran Identity Patrol on my computer. It detected 86 threats and removed them. It completely did a number on my system. I had to reinstall Norton as well as other programs. I also cannot access my one external hard drive now as a result. I have another external WD hard drive that was not affected. It does show up in Computer and Device Manager, which shows that the device is working properly. However when I click on it, nothing happens. I had no accessibility issues before I ran this scan. The drive is not making any weird noises or anything like that. I suspect that program deleted a registry key or some file ending in .dll. I hooked up the hard drive to a friend's computer and the same thing happens. It shows up in Computer and Device Manager but no access.

Can anyone please help me?! This drive has my thesis on it I've been working on all year.

Have you tried unhooking the drive and hooking it back up to see if Windows will reinstall the drivers for it?

Yes I unplugged it and plugged it into another USB port. My computer made the audible sound of it being connected but did not show up in My Computer. When I restarted the computer it did show up in My Computer but again no access.

Yes I unplugged it and plugged it into another USB port. My computer made the audible sound of it being connected but did not show up in My Computer. When I restarted the computer it did show up in My Computer but again no access.

I just got off the phone with WD customer service. They think that the drive lost its formatting. While I was on the phone with them it came back online with a cyclical redundancy error message. I can now access it but per his suggestion, I'm going to get a new external drive, transfer everything from the old one and then reformat it.

Let's hope this works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom