Wd 160 Gb Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I just bought a new WD 160 GB HDD for my new computer. I installed it and installed Windows 2000 Professional. I looked at the manual and it showed that I needed SP3 or higher for an HDD above 137 GB. So, naturally, I installed SP4. After doing that, I still had 137 GB and nothing more. What can I do to solve this problem, thanks?

Is the partition 137 GB, or 160 GB-- if it's only 137 GB, you need to fix that and claim the unused portion with any of the various partitioning programs... but if it's Window's just not knowing it's 160 GB, well...I'm not sure then. I don't think this is part of that, but a drive I was looking at on eBay says "Windows 98SE/Me might need an Ultra ATA controller to support drives greater than 137GB"--maybe that applies to Win2k as well? (Just a thought).

Yeah, but my board runs an Abit AA8-Duramax and that is one of the newest boards. The partition for Win 2k is 10 GB and then the rest is unallocated.

So...if 150 GB is unallocated...wouldn't it have to be added to the 10 GB or have a seperate one partition?...sorry, if I'm not getting this right!

I just ran a BIOS update and my motherboard recognizes the drive as 160 GB, before it didn't. But Win 2k still doesnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom