Warning - Please Read - Don't Make This Mistake - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

How do you know that thermal grease wasn't absolute crap? Did you also try it on an AMD processor? I can't see why for some odd reason and intel processor would somehow intelligently choose to overheat itself on anything lower than the best thermal grease. This topic is just a stupid intel-bashing piece of worthless crap. Nothing about it is true, it makes no sense, and the author is blatantly lieing.

Yea I put some thermal grease on my 3000+ and it started idling at 80C. Once I put the AS5 on then it cooled down to 21C, but apparantly AMD processors are so stuck-up they only take the good stuff and purposely overheat on ya if you give them anything less.

Wish my damn processors weren't so picky, and they only drink spring water too!

Load: 72C--------------------------------------Load: 28C
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe-----------------------GIGABYTE K8NF4-9 NForce4 4X
512MBX2 Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 PC-3200-----512MBX2 Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 PC-3200
ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition-------ATI RADEON X800 XL
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS----------Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital Raptor 37GB 10K------------2X Western Digital SATA150 Caviar SE 80GB RAID 0
Antec True 480W------------------------------Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W
Zalman 5.1 Headphones----------------------Zalman 5.1 Headphones
Zalman High Sensitivity Microphone----------Zalman High Sensitivity Microphone
Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A----------Logitech Media Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0A---------Logitech MX510
3DMark05: 5,928------------------------------3DMark05: 5,000</font>
Old 04-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Quote:
Originally posted by gaara
The Prescott (despite what many people will argue) will operate absolutely safely at temperatures up to 70 degrees.

It's borderline dangerous, but they will run safely at those temperatures, not to say I'm a fan of a near melting point processor though...
Safely, I don't think so. If in safely you mean, "Won't Throttle and will preform up to standards." Then ok. Fine.

But, if you think of safely like I do, "Operating at a temp that won't decrease the CPU's life span." Then no way! There is nothing safe about a CPU idling at 70C. You won't get any life span out of a CPU that you spend 350.00+ for. It's just plan stupid. Also, it's so freakin' power hungry. Talk about unenvironmentally friendly... Were's your green thumb intel...

The only two Intels that I like are the 3.2E GHz Socket 478 and the 2.8GHz LGA 775 - Both Prescott's. They did something very right with those two CPU's. They run cool, they over clock very well and they give you great performance in all games and appz. Just from my experience anyway.

Now, that i've got a FX-55... I don't know how I ever used anything else... As for not being a good multitasker? I don't know where people get this stuff from. Benchmarks? I like to base a CPU's performance on realtime activity. Just last night I was burning a DVD, Listening to MP3's, Surfing the web, making a Sig in photoshop and have ton's of appz running in the background. I never once said, "Oh, goosh... I should close some appz... My CPU is bottlenecked." And forget those people that say, "Oh but you can't multitask while playing a game." Who the hell does all that stuff I was doing and plays a freakin' game?" No one...

Rant Complete... LOL

Old 04-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by gaara
It was never meant to run even close to that hot in the first place, Intel originally intended their 90nm process cores to run in same fashion as the AMD 90nm cores, with less heat dissipation.
no kidding? lol
Old 04-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to NickBrown7804

well put man in a different kind of way.

This may anger a bunch of people but...

Ive always been an Intel Nvidia kinda guy never liked AMD or Radeon. But thats for the fact that i dont play just vid games with my computer also for video editing which is what ive heard (never actually tried) damn near impossible to do.

Im just wondering if the same thing will happen to me prolly will.

Intel P4 3.6 Intel LGA775 board.
Nvidia BFG 6800 GT OC PCI-e.
Ultra 600W power supply unit.
2 80 gig Maxtor (raid0) 160 gig (bulk)
OCZ 2048MB 4200 DDR2 (2 x1024MB)
ThermalTake. Tornado primary.
19\" LG LCD
Old 04-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
How do you know that thermal grease wasn't absolute crap? Did you also try it on an AMD processor?
at first it WAS crappy paste, then replaced by AS5....before that it was the stock pad which was still causing it to overheat.

As for the rest of your paragraph, you are simply the biggest Intel/ATI fanboy I've ever seen in these forums. How is it a lie if he's posting results from crap that really happened to him and his friend?

You are just in your own little world that anything that doesn't glorify Intel or ATI you go on this little 13 year old rant about how it's SUCH A LIE, THIS IS BASHING, BLAH BLAH BLAH, and then you'll turn right around and bash AMD and nvidia. Jesus you are such a contradicting hypocritical person
Old 04-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

lol agreed

AMD processors have no clue what kind of thermal grease they use, it's not like they have sensors...

And Intel do overheat with anything but the best (Artic Silver)
Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Nubius have i ever told you how much i love the way you talk to people? rofl..... god ive never seen temps that high, not even on my P3 something when the heatsink fan fell off of the heatsink....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Nubius have i ever told you how much i love the way you talk to people?
It takes years of practice to perfect it, although people like shoobie are just naturally born with that gift

EDIT: BTW, I've finally surpassed the major and now have the Number 1 spot for posts Only by like 3 currently haha

And they said it couldn't be done!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie

My comp idles at about 28-29 C, and at full load goes to about 35 C. Not bad. I also have some of that arctic silver thermalpaste. works like a charm.

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
at first it WAS crappy paste, then replaced by AS5....before that it was the stock pad which was still causing it to overheat.

As for the rest of your paragraph, you are simply the biggest Intel/ATI fanboy I've ever seen in these forums. How is it a lie if he's posting results from crap that really happened to him and his friend?

You are just in your own little world that anything that doesn't glorify Intel or ATI you go on this little 13 year old rant about how it's SUCH A LIE, THIS IS BASHING, BLAH BLAH BLAH, and then you'll turn right around and bash AMD and nvidia. Jesus you are such a contradicting hypocritical person
Amen!