Warning - Please Read - Don't Make This Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Thermal Issue with : Intel P4 560J 3.6GHz LGA 775 :

Just thought I would post my experience with everyone. A friend of mine who is pretty new to PC building, found out how crappy Intel really is. He called me up and I bailed him out of trouble.

Here's the deal. So the first mistake he made was going Intel. But anyway... He buys all the parts at newegg.com. We build it together, monitored the CPU temp for 30 minutes IDLE in BIOS and it's steady at 40-44C. (Stock HS&FAN with Thermal Pad) come to find out that one of the SATA controllers on the MOBO is bad, he needs both, we contact the manufacturer and find out that it has been an issue and to mail it to them and they will send him a new one. No problem, we mail it, they mail him back a new one in like 5 days.

So, i was really busy last week and couldn't get over there to install everything and get it up and running, so he decided to do it himself. So, he calls me up and askes me what to do about the thermal pad that's now completely torn apart, I tell him to clean both the processor and HS with Alcohol and tell him to reapply some thermal grease that I knew he had. So, he does, he completes the install, enters BIOS and monitors CPU temps... IDLE 75C... WHOA!
I tell him to give it some time for the Thermal Paste to set, 2 days later he calls me back and the temps are now 75C-85C. And the CPU is throttling like a mother!!!

Damn, so I head over to his place and open up the belly of hell. Pull off the HS&FAN, inspect the Thermal Grease and it seems pretty nicely applied. I ask him for the tube so, we can clean it and reapply.
He hands me this tube of thermal compound that i've never even heard of? I was like what the hell is this? It wasn't even a Silver Oxide Compound. I was like DUDE!~ Lucky for him I had a tube of artic silver 5 in my tool kit and lube up the CPU with it. Reinstall HS&FAN, go back to BIOS. >>> 38C-40C IDLE. WHOA!!! Stayed like that for 45 minutes. Put it all back together and it's been purring like a kitten for the last week.

What we found: The stock Thermal Pad works fairly well to keep this CPU that runs very hot pretty cool. But, when removed and a new compound is use, it must be HIGH quality "Silver Oxide" Thermal Compound. Nothing Less then AS5. (Kinda common knowledge around here) but it just proves that Intel Continues to make crappy processors. LOL - Also theres a little sticker on the retail box that say's, "Ambient Case Temp must be no higher than 38C" Yeah, sure, blame it on the case temp.

Hope this helps someone...

Yeah there was an arguement a couple days ago about the stock LGA775 HSF being the best air solution and whatnot, but I don't know anything about it.

75-85C temps, yeesh, surprised it didn't shut off long before that

Why change it? Just break out the hot dogs and some pointed sticks...

I put my mini pizza's in my parents Intel Rig :D

Yeah, intel's run hot, need their thermal pad or AS5

The Prescott (despite what many people will argue) will operate absolutely safely at temperatures up to 70 degrees.

It's borderline dangerous, but they will run safely at those temperatures, not to say I'm a fan of a near melting point processor though...

Just means more heat to the rest of the components and more power usage. That's such a stupid freakin idea, 'oh well this core is allowed to run that hot no probs' but why the hell would you make it to run that hot? Ridiculous design if you ask me

i miss the old northwood cores :(

just water cool them and you can o/c them to like 3.8ghz, and they would probably run as good as a 4.6ghz prescott lmfao. intel made a step in the wrong direction going to the prescott/lga775

It was never meant to run even close to that hot in the first place, Intel originally intended their 90nm process cores to run in same fashion as the AMD 90nm cores, with less heat dissipation. Intel intended the Prescott to be their next big breakthrough and had high hopes of it reaching 5GHz.

Unfortunetely, because of the strained silicon, it failed miserably and resulted in barbaric temperatures. Of course they weren't just going through trash their next big thing so I suppose they modified it to handle high temperatures, and bam, there's your super hot Prescott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom