virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrigguK

Beta member
someone online told me the other day that if i have enough ram, turning off virtual memory will speed up my computer drasticly, is this true? and what are the pros and cons of doing so. thanks

Re: virtual memory.

It can speed up the system by quite a bit, since it will be forced to use the RAM instead of the hard drive, the hard drive generally being more than ten times slower in terms of transfer speed. However, only do this if you have at least, say, 4GB, since as soon as you start to run out of available RAM your system is likely to start slowing to a crawl.

Re: virtual memory.

How much RAM do you have in your system now? Someone jsut asked me the other day about this exact thing. They were wondering if they should boost up the amount of VRAM in their system. When i found out they had 9GB of DDR3 RAM i told them no. There is very little chance they will every need or use all 9GB. So increasing the amount of VRAM on a system like that is senseless. I told them to monitor how much RAM they use under heavy load and if they found that they never reached even half of the mark they could disable VRAM and the hit to performance would be negligible.

Now for someone using only 4GB of RAM it isnt that hard to eat that up. I do it all the time. So i make sure my VRAM is set to the max level i can set it for. So that once i start to eat at my RAM my system will take over and not freeze up on me and allow me to free up some of my RAM for other processes.

I never suggest turning it off, even if you have more than enough RAM. You wont notice either way if it is on or off when it comes to a system that powerful.

Your post was a bit confusing for a bit for me, until it dawned on me by 'VRAM' you're saying Virtual RAM, not Video RAM as I thought you did :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom