Video Editing Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanner

Beta member
Hello guys and gals! I am about to build a computer that will be used for my video production company. I will be using an industry grade program called Avid. The product specs can be found here. I have selected most of my computer parts... my only problem is that I am afraid that I'm not getting that great of a deal. Here is what I have so far:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7V600 Motherboard
1 GB Kingston PC 3200
2 Western Digital 80 gig HD Raided
8x Dual Format Pioneer DVD Burner
Sony DVD ROM
3.5'' Floppy
Antec Case with 300 watt Power Supply
ATI 9600XT 128mb Graphics Card

All of this came out to be right under $900 shipped. My question is... can I do better? Can any of you find a better price for a comparable computer? If someone could either find this for me or even just point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS: Very nice forum yall have here!

Who are you ordering from?

The first places to look at are newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com and tigerdirect.com, in my opinion. ;)

tanner, did you get those products at any one particular place? I got a buddy looking to get a new comp, and that looks like a pretty good deal.

That price is fine. How long/large is most of the stuff you render? If its a decent amount of information in larger formats you may want another stick of 512. These days people think 1GB is how much you need, but honestly most people will NEVER utilize that much. I use 1GB of RAM because I do VE also, but most of my stuff is pretty short. A buddy of mine is an animator for a large production company and he uses 3GB (like... USES it). But we're talking 20 min. of CGI rendering.

Im not sure where youre getting your parts, but as someone mentioned- www.newegg.com is the place to go. Fantastic prices and the best service around.

Im also not sure about the video card for a commercial rendering PC... most commercial places use cards like the Quadro4 series.

Bull Buchanan said:
tanner, did you get those products at any one particular place? I got a buddy looking to get a new comp, and that looks like a pretty good deal.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure... my friend is really good with hardware and he built this for me from one of his many resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom