Video Card Upgrade Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Video Card Upgrade Question

My computer is in need of an upgrade, which I plan to do to before the holidays to be able to play the new games like HL2 and Doom3 coming out. I am planning on getting a new processor and motherboard, but I thought I'd start with the video card. However, I have run into a dilema. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I was looking into middle of the road cards like the Radeon 9600SE (< $150). However, my current video card (Rage Fury Pro) enables me to watch TV on my PC, a feature I have grown very fond of. The All-In-Wonder cards from ATI all seem too pricey for my budget. Can anyone suggest a way I can grab a video card for games and still be able to watch TV on my PC...and not spend a bunch of money? Do motherboards with 2 video card slots exist so I can keep my old card?

Old 10-26-2003, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik

why don't you just buy the video card you want, then buy a pci video capture card for like 40 bucks?

EDIT- also, most of the new video capture cards come with a remote and software for watching and recording shows. timing a recording session, and you can watch them in high definition. i am thinking about getting one. i have a 21 inch viewable trinitron moniter which has an awesome picture. i wouldn't mind playing my xbox and watchin tv on it

Old 10-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

Yeah, what he said.

Vid cards are AGP (most of them) and any TV tuner card will be PCI. Since your TV card is more of an input device, you can run the 2 at the same time.

I've done it for a while with an old Video Highway Extreme 98 and it worked great.

www.lostman.us
Old 10-28-2003, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Could you suggest a good PCI video capture card?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik

yeah let me look....http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=P121-5002 i think this one is pretty decent but it doesn't support HDTV. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4030&CatId=314 this doesn't have hdtv either, but has a remote, and full desktop display.
Closed Thread