Video Card Questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Video Card Questions

Okay guys, when it comes to the latest video card information I'm pretty noob and thought I'd just ask some of the more knowledgeable people on the forum here.

1. What is SLI and DLI? -- I hear this term being tossed around a lot and just wanted to know what is what.

2. PCI-e -- From the reviews I've been reading, it seems like PCI-e is taking over, which is funny because when I was getting A+ Certified the instructor always shot his mouth off to how AGP will never be replaced. Anywho -- How can you tell if your current board can support this? (only 6 months old)

3. Video Card cooling, what do you recommend? I've seen all sorts of VGA cooling and leery on which to invest in, I'm interested in OverClocking but have never done it and always just acted like a noob and never touched it.

4. Finally -- If your working on a budget is a " GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce 6600 128MB PCI-Express for $113.99 a good deal? or a waste of time and money? Link

--- Anywho thanks guys for putting up with my noobery.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Go for the eVGA 6600 it's only $109

If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

1) SLI is "Scalable Link Interface." If you have two PCIe x16 slots, you can use two identical cards to run in tandem. They will each run at 8x speed. Thats roughly a 50% boost to performance, if im not mistaken. No clue what DLI is, never heard of it.

2) AGP is still good, but PCI-e will be the future of gaming cards. If your board supports it, it should say so right in the book. You cannot run a PCIe device on a regular PCI slot, its a whole new can of worms.

4) Thats a decent card, but i'd go ahead and spend a little more for a 6600GT. eVga makes a good card for about 200 dollars.

-DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
-AMD 64 3000 Winnie
-eVga 6600GT (PCIe)
-Mushkin Dual Pack PC3200 (512 X2)
-Lite-On CD-RW
-Creative Live! Series 5.1 surround sound w/subwoofer
-Fans Galore
Old 03-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys, answered my questions <3 Much Appreciated.
Closed Thread