video card problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2004, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default video card problems

i just bought a sony vaio computer (p4 3ghz HT, 512 ddr ram, 128 radeon 9200). i wanted to put a better video card in it, so i bought a 256 mb agp geforce fx 5500 by bfg tech. i installed the video card fine, ran driver cleaner, and installed latest nvidia drivers. i also ran the driver cleaner for ati to make sure i got no conflicts at all. so i started running some games (doom3, quake 3, unreal 2) and i noticed improved performance and graphics of course. but i also noticed that sometimes the games will freeze for 10 seconds or so and then return to normal gameplay. in the case of doom 3, sometimes my computer restarted in mid game play after freezing. ive noticed also that when i click on advance display seetings from the desktop display properties, my mouse cursor will freeze for a second and then show the advanced settings. i called bfg tech about the problem and one of the guys said that i have a power supply problem, that my 262watt supply isnt good enough and that i should have a 400watt supply for what im running. before i go out and buy a new power supply, i want to make sure that this is in fact the problem. has anyone ever heard of any problems like this and if so, is a new power supply the way to fix it? any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

i was also told that new bios drivers would fix the problem.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Icedragon Send a message via Yahoo to Icedragon

Yea PSU is prolly your problem right there in a nutshell. I think you need at least a 300 Watt PSU to use those thing, correct me if im wrong someone.

PC Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 800 FSB
Abit IC7-G 875p
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB 256 Bit
2x512MB Ultra PC3200 DDR400
Soundblaster Live
Maxtor 40GB 7,200 RPM HDD
Lian-Li PC65 Case
Old 08-20-2004, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well whether or not it is the problem i would seriously recommend getting a new PSU before your current one melts or blows up. With your specs you should be running at the VERY least a 330W Antec truepower. More likely you should be running around a 400W (good brand one). However it doesnt really sound like a PSU problem...

I would get a new one (cause you drastically NEED a new one, like RIGHT NOW before you loose all your new hardware!!) and see it that works. If not post on here and we will see if we can troubleshoot some more
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you are running this System on 262W?????

unbelieveable!!! for graphuc cads requiring external Power, one's PSU should at least be 350W for optimal performance, as upgrading BIOS wont cost u anything, try doing it first, if it hepls, still I wil strongly recommend PSU Upgrade in every case if you are running this system.

normally you wont experience such problems while watching Movies, Playing Music or general work, whike 3D or even 2D games are running, GPU is at boost, so it requires optimal flow of current across.
Intel Core2Quad 2.66Ghz 12MB L2-Cache
4096MB DDR Kingston Hyper-X
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Old 08-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah, it's 1000% true, you gotta buy a new at least 350 Watts PSU.
AMD Athlon-C Thunderbird @ 1.2 GHz (FSB 133/266MHz)
MSI K7T Turbo Limited Edition (VIA KT133A Chipset)
Visipro 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
PixelView GeForce 2 MX400 Ultra 64MB SDRAM (Samsung 4.5 ns)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Soundcard
Maxtor 40 GB ATA133 7200 RPM
Logitech Z-560 THX Certified Speakers
Samsung 753DF 17\" Flat CRT Monitor
Windows XP Pro SP1
Closed Thread