Video Card Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2004, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Video Card Problem

I recently started having problems with my video card and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a AIW 9800 Pro 128 ram vid card and for some reason my games are not working properly. The games are very choppy and slow all of a sudden but everything else is working perfectly. I tried many different games and same results. It started doing this since yesterday and i don't know what to do. I reinstalled my vid card drivers, updated them, even reinstalled windows and still no luck. Can someone please help me out as to what else can be done.

Old 05-31-2004, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

perhaps its some problem with the power supply .. my roomate had a GFX 5900 ultra and it gave him pure hell .. games ran choppy and the pc would even freeze at times .. he did all that u mentioned (even changed 3 different power supplies) but finalyl settled for a 9600xt in the end ..

other then the power supply i gess latest drivers from ati plus settings in bios or sometihng might hafta do with it ..

Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't think its the power supply because i have a 500 watt power supply and everything was working fine couple of days ago and all of a sudden games don't run properly at all. I have had my vid card for over 3 months now so its still brand new and it shouldn't give me problems like that. This is driving me insane. Thanks for your reply.

What settings in the Bios can I make to get the games to play they did before, i haven't changed any settings yet in the Bios at all.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If your card came with a cooling fan you may wan't to check and see if it's still working. Card might be overheating.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

U can try:
1.update latest VGA driver
2.check whether your RAM r sufficient

*I think it wont be PSU problem cause if not insufficient power, your pc cannot startup at all.

AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+
2GB Kingston DDRII667Mhz
MSI 256MB GeForce8500GT
Western Digital 160GB SATAII HDD
Maxtor 80GB 8M ATA133 HDD
17" Samsung 793Dfx Monitor
Win XP Pro
Old 06-01-2004, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

When you installed the latest driver, did you completely uninstall the older one (through the add/remove program)? if not, do it since it maight cause driver interference.
Run DXDIAG and check that your RAM is still all good.
In your ATI control panel, ensure that the VSYNC is off.
set everything to application preference.
The 2 options to watch for are Anti-Aliasing (AA) and Anisotropic filtering. These 2 are extremely CPU hungry.
Post your specs and we might be able to help you a bit more.
My gaming machine:

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
Old 06-01-2004, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

If all the above help doesn't work, you should contact the company as u said it's 3 months old it should have a warranty on it.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

what kind of MB/Chipset do you have?
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 06-02-2004, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

You sure it's not overheating? My bro has a AIW 9700 Pro and the beast can produce enough heat to warm his room. No seriously.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hey guys, So i finally figured it out, it was overheating. What happened was the cpu processor chip fan wasn't working. Sometimes it starts spinning and sometimes it doesn't. I just have to fiddle aound with it a little and then it spins. I am changing the fan soon and putting a better fan in it, i found out that this fan i currently have is **** and i better get a new one soon. How much does it cost to buy a fan, i think it should be anywhere from 20-25 dollars max in cdn currency.

Thanks a lot for the replies, i really appreciate everyones help.

Closed Thread