Video Card metldown

Status
Not open for further replies.

instantmusicu1

Beta member
OK, I've scoured around and can't really find the words to do a good google search.

I have an xFx Gerfoce 6800 128mb card that is giving me grief :( I recently installed a dvd burner and ever since, my card has been acting up. Let me define the problems. At first, randomly, whenever I boot up, the windows screen will have graphical artifacts, esp. around the mouse, like horozontal lines bleeding through. Since then, I have unplugged the burner and took out the card and put it back in and made sure all the power connectors were secure. Now, it boots normally and appears almost like nothings wrong. However, just as before, the longer I leave my machine on, the monitor begins shutting off and turning back on and I 'lose' mouse control briefly. Music still plays normally and my programs still run as if nothing had happened, but I cannot interact with them or read mouse or keyboard actions. When I reboot or install "new" drivers, the monitor cleans up and acts normally until it's been on awhile. I check the temp and but the core is never much higher 64 C. I have noticed whenever my cd is running or a bump the case, the screen gets worse and starts doing the screen reboot over and over again.

I have tried different monitors but haven't tired the card in a new machine. At times, it seems like it's software b/c the screen gets better depending on what window i'm in, like if i do something to refresh it it clears up and whenever I change out the drivers. But other times, when I bump the case or when the cd is running and it gets worse, I feel like it's loose or something? I have no clue what is wrong and can't find anyone who's had the same problem.

I'd just like to have some direction on how to fix it :( Thanks for any help you can offer.

64C is HOT
put a fan in the side of the case, and then see if it still has the problem...
Yan

I think 60C is OK for the GPU... if it was your CPU then I'd get concerned.

My card (see below) can reach 73-74C after heavy gaming (that's with or without overclocking btw, doesn't seem to make a difference to the GPU temp).

what is your psu?? sounds like a power issue when u run the dvd and it gets worse. don't know about the bumping thing...

my 6800gt gets to 85c under load, idles at 59c.

For the bumping, I'd say that you didn't stick it into the AGP slot firmly enough and it gets loose when you bump it.

my 6600GT (PCI-E) is factory overclocked and idles at 66c it then gets up to the mid 90c range when gaming!

yet my CPU idles at 29c and only reaches 36c under full load!

its strange.. but oh well!

Ok, ya, my first thought was a power issue and I may not discount it. I unplugged my dvd burner though and still had these problems. My psu is 480w. I just feel like it's not getting the right voltage or something or I knocked something loose when I was plugging everything in. I've resecured the card though and that got rid of the bumping, obviously. I may switch out the power connectors with another though to test it out. I guess, if it continues after that, I'll need to switch out cards to test it and I may have to break down a get a new one :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom