video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noliniel

Solid State Member
Hiyas, I got a little question about video cards and not really sure where to ask. So I did a goggle search and found this forum. Maybe you guys can help me out !

Well first here is my general system information.
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: K7S5A
BIOS: Version 1.00
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 177MB used, 619MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

This problem I have is really a problem of choosing the right video card for my computer. I have been playing some mmorpgs with my old
---------
Card name: AG315E-32
Manufacturer: SiS
Chip type: SiS 315E Rev 00
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0325&SUBSYS_0C421019&REV_00
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: SiSGRV.dll
Driver Version: 6.13.0010.2060 (English)
DDI Version: 8
video card and it was working fine till the game upgraded to directx 9 only and I am starting to have major problems with the game. I know my video card is really really crappy and the game doesn't supports it at all lol. So I am asking a little advice about video cards if anyone has the time.

I picked two really cheap cards that able to support the game since I don't really have the money to buy a really good one atm.

One is GEForce FX 5200 and the other one is
OEM Radeon 9200 SE . Those are the only cards I have been able to find that are 128 mb and supports directx 9 it seems. Also very cheap. I really like the GeForce Fx 5200 video card and my friend has it and he says it runs the game really well. Problem with it its the fact that it only supports AGP 8x it seems and I have a ECS K7S5A. Which only supports AGP 4x. My friends has a Asus P4PE which it seems only supports AGP 4x but he is able to run the video card and the game. So I am just wondering, is it possible to run the video card with my motherboard? Also wil my computer able to handle it?

My computer has been a nightmare really and its fragile like a glass it seems lol. I had overheating problems within 6 months of buying it, had to change my motherboard and replaced a new CPU fan. Then about 3 months later my RAM was corrupted and I had to buy a new one has well. It has problems everyday it seems. I just don't want it to overheat again or cause more problems. Would be great also if anyone has suggestions on what other cheap cards would be better etc.. I live in Canada so U.S. stores are not really available to me and I really hate online shopping.

Anyways, sorry for the really long posts but I had to post it in details since no one like to respond to a short and uninformative post it seems. :p Thanks for reading my post and I hope you can help this poor girl out ! :)

First off, shes canadian.. she cant even shop at newegg. Second, that card is THREE TIMES the price range she listed. Be realistic.

www.ncix.com may be a good place to look Noliniel.

Your board will run 8x cards. Theyre backwards compliant so 8x will run okay on an 4x, just not at full capacity.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9808&vpn=100-436007

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10009&vpn=GV-R9218VH

Theres a couple cards that seem to be in your price range.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11362&vpn=1024-9C20-HD-SA

if you have the cash I recommend that one.

Thanks for the quick responses! Now I know my board can run the card but the other important question still remain unanswered. Will my computer able to run the card without overheating problems etc..? Also one last question, what's with all the names before Radeon cards? like ATI Radeon 9200 or GIGABYTE RADEON 9200 etc..? Does they mean they type of motherboard or? Sorry for so many questions. :p

Theres no point in posting if you dont read the questions deadguy. I appreciate your desire to help, but if youre gonna try, try to be of help.

The new card shouldnt heat up your system much at all. If youre having cooling issues, we can tackle that too. Just tell us what your case looks like (like... how many fans are in it, where they are, any extra fan spaces, etc).

As for the brands, its just different companies that use common architecture and chipsets. The basics of the card are the same, but some provide better cooling, more quality capacitors... stuff like that.

Why are you trying to start an argument with me? I just pointed out the fact that you obviously didnt read her post. Relax guy.

Coming from a 32MB SiS video card, she obviously doesnt require a crazy hardcore GPU card, nor does it seem shes got the cash for it.

Everyone has different needs, not everyone requires an uberPC.

I'm not continuing this pissing contest Deadguy. If you have any more complaints about me, feel free to send me a PM.

Noliniel, I'm sorry for taking part in a thread hijacking. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help so feel free to ask.

Thanks for keeping it to a minmum gang...I dont know if this got out of hand or not.....but by the looks of it you both have come to your senses. Thanks you both for answering her question and as posted above, any further discussion can be rattled out through PMs.

Noliniel, if you have any more questions please feel free!

-Mike

Was Deadguy banned?? If so why? If it had anything to do with this thread I might say its a bit unwarranted...

PM me with the details if you see fit to not carry this conversation on in this thread.

Heh No problems. Stored closed early today so going to get it tomorrow. Thanks for the helps again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom