video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpc

Baseband Member
How much difference does a video card make? Right now I have a dell dimension 2400 with a BFG PCI (not express) GeForce FX 5500 video card. (sorry it's the best my computer will take) The only reason I have a video card in the first place is cause some friends of mine got me hooked on Generals Zero Hour. My video card kicks me out of the game frequently so I'm in the process of building a new one. The video card I'm looking at is the XFX GF6800XT. How much of an improvement is it?

The 6800XT is a much bigger improvement over the stock FX5500 video card. But i'm not sure you can get it for that Dell PC, the slots are made differerently, so i've heard...

No, I'm not putting it in the Dell. That comp is headed off to college with my daughter in a few weeks. I'm putting together a new one with either a conroe 6400, amd 3800x2, or an intel 805 haven't decided yet.

From what I've read so far the XFX GF6800XT seems to be able to play most games at decent settings. Or would I see much improvement if I went with the 7600GT instead?

Yeah, you can get the 7600 for just a few dollars more. But the XFX is a great card... especially the 512mb pcie versions... 256bit memory interface.. better than 7600GTs... and then in SLI... *drools*

But yeah, I'd go with the 7600GT

Does it matter which brand of video card? I looked at PNY, eVGA, and XFX 7600GT. Are they all about the same with minor differences or is one much better than the rest? The PNY and eVGA are cheaper after rebate right now.

I would recommend eVGA, since PNY is still pretty unknown. The only thing i have of theirs was a free USB stick after rebates, and it works fine, its just a little tinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom