Very strange file access problem. Need Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenet

Baseband Member
Its the weirdest pc problem ive had yet. I recently bought an external HD. Ive loaded about 12gig of files over the past couple weeks with no problem at all. Today I was xfering vid files from my pc to the external by cutting and pasting into the specific folder on the external. I wasnt double-checking the destination folder while i was pasting into it. Well for whatever reason while i was moving these video files numerous misc files were being created in the destination folder. All these misc files have no extension and the file names are either single letters or ²0l1 syblols, many of them have duplicate file names such as 3 files named f or i etc. these files range in size from 2,000 kb upto almost 5 gig and i didnt xfer any files larger than 1.5 gig. I cannot open, move, or delete these files. When i try i get an error message that says "cannot read for the source file or disk. All in all they take up more than 30 gig on this external drive which is 3 times the files i moved to the folder. You can see why i cant just ignore them. Also i have up to date Norton anti-virus and these are not some weird virus files.

Does anyone know what these files might be, where they came from and how i can get rid of files i cant access.

Thanks ahead for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom