Very quick question about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh. Good point. I remember trying something similar to what you said. I installed 2x 512MB sticks with tighter timings than my existing 2X256MB sticks. It turned out that the old RAM underclocked (therefore underclocking all RAM) just so that the timings would be stable for the older stuff. I tried to loosen the timings to what the old stuff ran at originally, but it never worked out :( I ended up with 1G, which is plenty:)

lol. I have four slots to insert the RAM, one is obviously occupied. Does it matter which one I pick to insert the new ram in?

They are color coded i noticed.

1 2 3 4

One and Four are Blue
Two and three are black
I have the RAM inserted in the first slot, which is blue. I insert the other into the number 4 slot?

it depends on your motherboard...

on mine one and two are green, three and four are orange

but...

channel 1 is one and three
channel 2 is two and four

(they obviously didnt think it out too well on mine!)

have a look at your manual it should say... or put them in one and three then use CPU-Z to see if you are running dual channel... if not move the stick in three to two and try again!!

Good luck!

I am running 4x512 PC3200 in dual channel now... and the first 2 i bought are a different brand to the second 2, but the cas latencies are the same so it works no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom