Very quick question about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any two sticks of memory which are the same size are compatible in a dual channel configuration.

RAM itself isn't dual channel or single channel. Its the mobo that determines whether it runs as dual channel or not. Only thing you need to make sure of, is that the 2 RAM modules are identical & placed in the correct sockets on the mobo for dual channel operation

Anotherwords, two sticks that contain the same amount of memory. So if I got another stick of 512, it would work?

Also, how do I set it up to be dual channel, if it isn't done automaticaly?

And just to add onto what gaara said:
RAM itself is not dual channel.
Also, that motherboard you have in your sig will support a dual channel configuration.

They really should be absolutely identical, not just the same size, if you want to be sure of it working

Rouen said:
Anotherwords, two sticks that contain the same amount of memory. So if I got another stick of 512, it would work?

Also, how do I set it up to be dual channel, if it isn't done automaticaly?

They should have all of the same timings (latencies).

It will usually be turned on automatically.

Memory timings shouldn't matter considering you can adjust them to match through the BIOS.

True, but if the RAM is set to have lower timings than what it is designed for, couldnt that cause instability?

That is why the RAM with the lower timings is loosened to match the timings on the looser timing memory, not the opposite. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom