venice integrated? winchester integrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
yet another question... :) thanks for the help so far guys.

from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ctory=1028&propertycodevalue=517:7439&bop=and

im wondering what the difference is between winchester and venice.

most of the way to the bottom, the athlon 64 3200+ winchester and venice are the same price, both retail box. then right above those 2 is a venice 3200+ chip for the same price almost... but OEM.

afaik, oem just means it comes by itself and has no warranty, so its kinda risky, but usually cheaper. in this case though... its the same price.

well newegg is kinda confusing sometimes, but an idea of which is 'better' between winchester and venice would be sweet, thanks!

btw, i did some research and found a few comments:

xenosoul

Go with the AMD 64 3200+ venice core. I think its only like 20 dollars more and it supports SSE3.

pc_boy

ya, venice is better core than winchester...

just wondering why venice is better :) and what is sse3?

The OEM CPUs dont come with the fancy box or the heatsink and fan.

And, yes, the Venice core supports SSE3. SSE3 is an instruction set built into the CPU. Its a way of accelerating certain types of tasks that the CPU has to perform.

Have a look here to find out a bit more about SSE3.

Another nice thing about Venice is that it overclocks quite nicely.

003, the winchester is also 90nm.

I would go for the Venice core, with a retail box. Even if you don't want the heatsink and fan, you can sell it on ebay for a bit of money.

I'm not really sure but.. My winchester wont overclock past 2.7.. The 3500 venice core (at 10x and 11x) i tested easily surpassed this to 2.895.. or 2.985 .. I don't remember which there are too many numbers in my head. I posted the results of my overclocking in the forum, do a search for it.

Maybe it was the quality of the silicon? Maybe they're using silicate now?

i dont know. $7 isnt much of a difference. doesnt really matter, the venice is much better than the winnies. I got my winnie up to 2.5ghz on stock, but then started to get some dangerous temps so i backed it back down to 2.0.

Winnie = good 90nm

Venice = Great 90 nm

There was a bit of a bug with the 90nm architechture found in the Winchesters, they couldn't sustain higher clock speeds, so that's why you didn't see any 4000+ or FX 90nm cores.

The Venice allows the 90nm process to allow higher clock speeds, and thus, better overclocks. The newer memory controller also allows all four DIMM slots to be operating at 400MHz, previous controllers would underclock the RAM to 333MHz if all four DIMMs were in use.

SSE3 instruction sets and lower voltages and temperatures are just icing on the cake, especially when they cost less.

My theory on the price difference is that the Winnies aren't being produced as much as the Venices, therefore they're harder to come by and have a bit of a premium fee attached to them. I really don't know though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom