Venice; 15 seconds of fame up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
“As some of you may know, we are ahead of schedule on our dual-core AMD Opteron processors. In fact, we’ve been shipping samples to customers since January… Therefore, in response to customer demand and because of our rapid qualification cycle we can confirm that we will indeed be launching our highly-anticipated AMD Opteron dual-core processor, the industry’s first x86 dual-core server processor, in New York next Thursday,”...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050414062927.html

They certainly aren't wasting any time releasing bigger and better things. Three new cores in two weeks has gotta be some sort of record.

Yeah saw that actually, was just wasting my time in off topic first lol. Looks awesome though, 2mb L2 cache dual core goodness........need I say more :drool:

But really that doesn't effect us like venice and san diego will since it's a server chip, but SOON!!! Soon desktop duals will be available to us

desiboi said:
2MB OF L2 CACHE?????????? HOLY MOLY WHAT A GENERATION WE ARE LIVING IN!!!!

hey, the more instructions you can fit into cpu cache the faster programs run, the setiathome project is ample proof of how that works

the current high end intels already have 2mb of L2 cache, that's what really gives them a good lead in multitasking and encoding most of the time.

I want to see more AMDs with 2mb of L2 cache but I want to see it in single cores as well

Cache isn't really that important, especially considering how insignifigant it is. I mean, sure it's the fastest thing your processor can access, but it's just not big enough to store much of anything useful.

In my opinion, companies should focus more on bus speed between the NB and the CPU, considering this is where all the big data makes it rounds. Hypertransport was a good step, but they can do better. Memory speed is much more important that cache size IMO.

I haven't really followed the newer Opteron Troy core, but I'm interested in how these new Egypt and Italy things stack up.

There is no NB on AMD64's :D

That ondie memory controller helped out massively, now it's basically only the SB, but since theres no north I guess more appropriately it's just 'chipset'

Basically that'd be all onboard sound if you have it, and HD data, which onboard sound a faster chipset could help, but that hypertransport was a vast improvement

Nah I don't, EXPLAIN YOURSELF! :D muahahahaha

Yeah I gotcha lol, but still that cache makes a surprising difference in a lot of things.........course if they made a jump to like 32mb L2 cache I bet you'd notice a huge difference lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom