Nubius - LOL...
Anyway...back to the hammering...
dont want the v-chip because it is censorship
Rewind...Take a second step back.
The v-chip is not censorship. The v-chip provides a way for applying a
censorship, as a service to the public. You aren't forced to have the v-chip blocking porn channels (especially since you can turn it off).
The v-chip isn't this block of sin that you need to chastize as if it came from nowhere.
and you called me paronoid?!? that sounds like you are paronoid...
I never liked posturing my resume, so I won't.
Let me ask you this, though: How much time do you think the government spends blocking you from the ability to recieve porn channels? How much time do you think they spend blocking you from recieving classified channels?
Who do you think is concerned with which?
Now if you're an intelligent, level-headed person, you'll know that the NRO is less-likely to be wasting their time keeping you from seeing the parties at the Playboy mansion, than they are keeping you from tunning-in on the North-Carolina "Antenna Farm."
You should also realize, that for the security of the Nation, you are not allowed to know (listen to, see, visit) certain things. This is censorship, yes, but it is censorship with a reason.
(Oh, and just for the record...my little insinuation about the magicians and "making you disappear" for getting caught trying to access secured government communications? That's not paranoia. It's law. In fact, the FBI, CIA, and NRO, all have their own legally-sanctioned sets of laws covering this, all have their own sets of protocols for this, and all have their own abilities (or access to abilities) for carrying this out.
Read your laws. That's what the National Archives is for.
Why do you belive that we should be censored?
Censorship is not this glob of pure evil you seem to be making it out to be.
Let me put it in another perspective: This forum.
When I come to this forum, I am under a censorship. So are you, and everyone else, right now. (Actually, you're under about a dozen, but let's not get complicated...)
Personally, I don't like listening to people cursing all the time. Cursing has its purposes, I won't deny that. You have the right to be angry (even Mr. Rogers said you should be angry once in a while). But anyway, when I come to read these pages, I don't want to read it. A lot of other people feel the same way. So, this forum was created with language filters (a kind of censorship) which keeps me from telling you what a f**king d**ba*s you are.
Is it to protect ourselves?
In many cases, yes. Directly, or indirectly, yes. Not in all cases. You can still be applied to a censorship that protects someone else. For example, your personal nemesis, the v-chip. Companies like to offer TV's with the ability to censor incoming channels, because it not only appeals to a popular desire, but it protects them from the liability that may fall upon them should they not.
I think people should have the moral integraty to make these decisions on their own.
That's a very noble thought, and in a WallGreens world, it might possibly work the way you'd think it would. You run up against a few problems, though.
1. Your mentality is not identical to your neighbor's.
2. That whole "human nature" thing...
3. People should
have the "moral integrity" to not curse on these forums...but they do...
4. What people don't know, can hurt them.
5. What people do know, can do the same.
Yes America is not moral, but that is because it was taught not to be. If people could teach morals instead of banning or cesoring stuff it would be much easier and better for all.
Tell you what. We'll turn off all the language filters, movie ratings, nation-security protections, public-address censorships, advertising/TV/radio censorships, etc, etc,...and we'll see what happens.
Just don't come calling when you go to town and someone's plastered up posters of someone fking a horse...And don't come complaining when you see Rob-Zombie's wh0re-house stuffed in on the same channel your kids are watching Mr. Rogers and Seasame Street, right inbetween episodes...And don't get upitty when you visit this forum and it's full of posts that read more like the lyrics to rap songs than technical questions...And--
example: In Britan and most of Europe...
I'm not going to quote that all, but a couple things pop to mind:
1. Since when was the American mentality equal to that of the British mentality? Or the other way around? Let me tell ya, as someone who has traveled quite a bit, we ain't all the same. Thank God!
2. Actually, in most (if not all) European countries, you cannot get a drink at any age. A twelve-year-old boy cannot walk into a pub in London and get served. The difference between the US and the UK is that the twelve-year-old could get served in London if his father was with him.
3. True, the Americans have this crazy thing about drinking just to get drunk. It's very embarrassing when you go to other countries (especially Germany). You can pick out the Americans anywhere. Still, if you think Europeans drink soley for the taste, you're off your nut! The Germans, Scotts, Irish, English, French, etc, get drunk, they won't tell you it's because they like the taste, or because they wanted to get drunk!
4. If I was twelve and out in public, there'd be no way I could get a beer. However, if I was in my own home, my father could have given me a beer at any time.
5. A twelve-year-old does not have the same understanding of morality and responsibility as an 18-year-old.
If you removed all censorships, how would you "teach people a better way of living"? If you leave people to their own morals and mentalities, alone, guess what? My neighbor thinks it's okay to blast his stereo all the time and throw his trash in the yard. I think we have a problem. According to him, that's all okay! (...as he hands the keys to the car to his eight-year-old to go fetch some milk. He is eight, after-all, and knows that running people over is bad and red mean stop.)
Not all censorships are bad. I want there to be censorships. Censorships protect me, and others. Censorships provide one of the few ways the government has of "teaching people a better way of living." If Congress and the Senate only passed "we suggest
you do this" bills, how much do you think people would follow?
Now if you'll excuse me...I'm gonna go f**k my girlfriend and then go to bed, where I will dream about our walk tomorrow at the Capital where we won't have to see anything disgusting...