using USB splitters on a USB2 port

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi

I have a USB 2.0 capable system and i love the speed..

I used to use this USB extender cable which basically just extends my usb so that i wont need to keep crawling to the back of my CPU case to plugin my usb devices

I replaced that 1:1 extender for a 1:4 extender. it extends it like a regular extender cable but it also has 4 USB ports.. so it's split. This is cool coz now i hav more room for 4 usb devices..

All is well except for one thing.. when i plugin my USB2 devices i get the "tip" in a baloon box saying i should plug this device into a USB2.0 port.. the extender with 4 usb ports "IS" plugged into a USB2.0 port..

what does this mean?

splitting USB2.0 port into many ports disables the USB 2.0 features?
or the extender i currently have doesnt support USB2.0?

please advise

yes i did and i confirm that USB2 speed is gone when using the splitter..

10MB file = 11 seconds on USB splitter
10MB file = 5 seconds on direct connection to the USB Port

use a non split cable with a small usb 2.0 hub. That is what I have here and it works like a charm.

I have to IOGEAR GUH275 paid 10 bucks for it at the local puter store.

use a non split cable with a small usb 2.0 hub. That is what I have here and it works like a charm.
oh but i DO need to split it atleast 4 ways.. i have my cellphone, my usb lamp, my thumbdrive, my digital camera and my mp3 player.. dont wana have to crawl and reach behind the CPU case..

sounds like the splitter, or Hub, isnt USB 2.0 capable.

i see.. that's what i needed to know.. thanks! off to the store to get a USB2 Capable splitter. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom