Using Power Supply for External Drive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Using Power Supply for External Drive.

I lost the power cord to my external drive, and I'm too poor to buy even that. So I am doing this instead:

Above is the type of connector my external drive uses. As you can see it uses the same voltage (and amperage for that matter) as an internal drive. The main difference is only one ground wire, #4 is the ground wire. Internal drives have two ground wires.. I don't know why.

Anyway, a normal power strip in a computer is 2 blacks, 1 yellow, 1 red. The red is 5v, the yellow is 12v, the blacks are grounds.

I split the 5v red into two wires, and put them into sockets 1 and 2 on the image. I put the yellow into socket 3. And the ground into socket 4. Anyway, I seem to be getting a short circuit, as far as I can tell, none of the wires are touching each other.

I can close and open the DvD drive, so it's working a little bit, but I disconnect it quickly to prevent any damage to anything. I don't know where the short circuit is coming from, can anyone tell? It gets very hot super fast, I assume it's a short circuit anyway.

My best theories
1) Having two ground wires is very relevant
2) Splitting the one 5v wire into two prongs is apparently causing an issue (Though I highly doubt this).

Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Using Power Supply for External Drive.

Use all the grounds, 4,5 and 6.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Agreed. Just connect it to one of the other ground points if you've run out of spots.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The labels indicate 4 is a ground, and 5 and 6 are labeled "shield", not entirely sure what that is, I assume something to do with canceling out interference.

Regardless, since a standard computer power cable has only two ground wires, how do you propose I use 4 5 and 6 as grounds?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

As I said, if you run out of ground points, just connect them all to the same point.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Worked, thanks.

Closed Thread