I lost the power cord to my external drive, and I'm too poor to buy even that. So I am doing this instead:
Above is the type of connector my external drive uses. As you can see it uses the same voltage (and amperage for that matter) as an internal drive. The main difference is only one ground wire, #4 is the ground wire. Internal drives have two ground wires.. I don't know why.
Anyway, a normal power strip in a computer is 2 blacks, 1 yellow, 1 red. The red is 5v, the yellow is 12v, the blacks are grounds.
I split the 5v red into two wires, and put them into sockets 1 and 2 on the image. I put the yellow into socket 3. And the ground into socket 4. Anyway, I seem to be getting a short circuit, as far as I can tell, none of the wires are touching each other.
I can close and open the DvD drive, so it's working a little bit, but I disconnect it quickly to prevent any damage to anything. I don't know where the short circuit is coming from, can anyone tell? It gets very hot super fast, I assume it's a short circuit anyway.
My best theories
1) Having two ground wires is very relevant
2) Splitting the one 5v wire into two prongs is apparently causing an issue (Though I highly doubt this).