Using external monitor with laptop

dseeman

Beta member
Hi all I just have one quick question about the topic from the title. The question is kind of complicated to explain, but the answer, I hope, should be pretty simple. So I am using my laptop and I have connected a full HDTV monitor (it's a monitor/tv) to it via HDMI cable. I have figured out the way how to get the desktop to show only on my monitor and the resolution is set to 1920x1080. Now I saw the resolution change from my laptop's 1366x768 to full HD and it looks like 1920x1080 should but colors and some icons and fonts are kind of blurry. I really can't describe it any better and I think it has to do with my monitor. So I guess what I'm asking is this- is this now the real 1920x1080 resolution as if I was using this monitor as a main one with a deskot PC or does the fact that the monitor is connected to my laptop still influence the quality somehow? I know it's a messy question but I hope someone will have an answer.

Attachments

• scrshoot1.jpg
    scrshoot1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 6
If I understand your question right, I believe I have a simple answer. I had a similar problem when I upgraded from a 19'' to a 23'' lcd, and I could see everything, but certain letters in the fonts were offset and certain icons were out of alignment. Long story short, I switched the display settings from something like 1920x1120 to 1920x1080 (I don't know if this is the exact size I used, but it was something similar in nature, I had two options, very close in numbers, and I just had to switch my choice). - Rube

thanks for your answer. This is more of a question than a problem. I'm basically worried that as far as quality goes, my screen is not in 1080p, and that's why I attached the screenshot. So if someone comes and says that it looks pretty 1080p like then it's done I have my answer and it turns out my eyes were playing games with me.

Oh, then in that case I believe it depends on the options you have setup. I believe the two main methods for this situation are (1) Mirroring and (2) Extended Desktop. Mirroring will use the laptop's display capabilities , while the extended desktop configuration should allow for your external monitor to display the image independently. The first will affect the quality while the second will not. Should be a simple enough thing to verify within the settings. I know this still doesn't answer your question as to whether it looks "right" or not, it should let you know whether or not it is supposed to look 1080P'ish - Rube

Back
Top Bottom