Using a bare Power supply to power hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoGamer

Solid State Member
I have a shuttle system with a small PS in it and want to run a RAID array off of it with 4 drives, which obviously won't fit in the system. But I can set them next to the system Ok and it will work. I'm concerned about power tho. Do you think I can get away with powering the hard drives with a stand alone bare PC power supply? What issues might I have?

I already figured out how to get the PS to come on by grounding the PS_On line. So I think this should work. Any comments?

- StereoGamer

Yes, tried it and all works. I thought that I might have to create a more local ground between the PC and PS to make sure the voltage levels matched but didn't need to. A shuttle system running with 5 hard drives and a DVD! Anyone beat that?

- StereoGamer

Might as well build your system around a tower and just use one high quality power supply

Well it's a space issue. I have about 5 computers in my study and the cabinet I have 4 of them in won't fit a big tower type PC. I'm switching over to shuttle systems for the space. Anyway I have lots of PC Power supplies laying around, why not use them?

- StereoGamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom