Use TV as Monitor ?'s - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Use TV as Monitor ?'s

Ok so I'm planning on getting a Albatron 5700U card and I see that it has a S-Video out. So does this mean I can use my TV as my monitor? If so how do I go about doing this? Also can hook up my cable to my Comp through the s-video and watch it on my monitor. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Monster00

yes u can. I actully tryed it before. You need a RCA adapter then a S video cable. But one thing. I dunno if its for ur card too.. but my color was like in black and white... Also, you cant play games or watch videos that are in good quality unless if u have a good TV. Like a flatscreen or somthing like that...

Asus P4p800s motherboard
1280MB of ram
Xaser III Red and Blue case
Antec 550 watt PSU
BACK TO GOOD OLE CPU FANS(serious not kidding)
ATI readon 9800xt 256 MB
8x DVD burner
52X cd burner
Old 06-02-2004, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

You would probly want to set up the res as high as it will go, but for some reason my laptop went (automatically) to 600x800 and it looked bad, but not like horrible. I wouldn't plan on doing much on a TV unless you've tried it and/or it's your only "monitor"

EMachines T3025:
Creative Extigy, Creative 5300 5.1 Audio, Athlon XP 3000+, nVidia MX GeForce 4, Samsung 48x CD-R/W, Cendyne 4x DVD+R/RW, Deuce 160GB WD Caviars, ATI TV Wonder, Hitatchi SuperScan 811 21\" CRT, Logitech MX700, White/blue neon.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

Using your TV as a monitor should be as easy as powering down your computer, plugging the cable into your TV (depending on your TV, you can either directly use S-Video or get an S-Video to RCA converter), and powering your computer on again. You can adjust display settings for the TV through the NView control panel in your computer's display properties. Usually the quality of the display on your TV is significantly lower than that of a regular monitor, so you probably won't want to use it as your primary monitor.

As far as plugging your cable into your computer so you can watch TV on your monitor, that won't work unless your card supports VIVO (Video In/Video Out), which I don't think the Albatron 5700 Ultra does. Your other option is to buy a TV Tuner card such as the ATI TV Wonder, which you can find for quite cheap these days.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Location: A system that rotates chaotically while simulations indicate irregular and unconventional behaviour.

Quote:
Originally posted by þÄ®âÐÖx
Using your TV as a monitor should be as easy as powering down your computer, plugging the cable into your TV and powering your computer on again.
I agree. It should be that easy.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

It should be easy, but I wouldn't do it unless it was my only monitor or I had an HDTV. Standard TV's have interlaced pictures while PC monitors have non-interlaced pictures. This means that you won't get a very sharp picture if you do hook your computer to your TV. Unless, of course, you have an HDTV, which is non-interlaced just like a computer monitor.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the info on this. I guess I'll wait till the price of HDTV's goes down to worry about using a TV as a monitor. I quess for now I'll just watch TV on my monitor. Is there any good Tivo type software that will copy TV shows to my Comp?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Lightbulb "Enter the RAGEPRO!..."

Quote:
Originally posted by magnum70
Thanks for the info on this. I guess I'll wait till the price of HDTV's goes down to worry about using a TV as a monitor. I quess for now I'll just watch TV on my monitor. Is there any good Tivo type software that will copy TV shows to my Comp?
The ATI 3D Rage Pro TURBO VGA card does both. It has a Cable TV and A/V In/Out capability that allows you to either Wach Cable TV or Even video from a VCR in real time. It even has the ability to use your TV as your monitor in resolutions up to 1028 by 780. (Through the CATV OUT) Though its an old card, it's video streaming features are second to none.

Quote:
Originally posted by bonehelm
WTF ROFLMAO !!!! WTF OMFG LOL !!!! PARDON THE ****KING CAPS IM SO ROFL NOW !!!

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
Old 06-03-2004, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Are you lot mad??????

A TV is great for TV stuff (like movies) but totally crap for pc work (like reading text)...............how on earth can you say yes its OK..pc res's to TV res's DO NOT FIT (compounded by interlacing)....what a bunch of no brainers...and the above post is ABSOLUTE BOLLOX...thats the pc res TO BE CONVERTED, not the TV OUTPUT....unless by some *MIRACLE* ATI convinced the worlds TV manufacturers to change the resolution of the TV's sold to fit the *OUTPUT* of a 3D RAGE........it would only cost a few hundred BILLION (possibly trillions)....hahahhahahahahahahhahahhahahha...... ......and a complete COUNTRY/CONTINENT/GLOBAL CHANGE in TV sets...WOW the ATI RAGE is REALLY that GOOD????????????????
Old 06-03-2004, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

roho might seem a bit crazy, but he makes a lot of sense. don't use your TV as a monitor unless its HDTV. the text will be unreadable

Closed Thread